• Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
Caution against buying from this builder

Christopher Davis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Posted Dec 20 2020, 10:25

I would like to provide a friendly warning for all realtors and investors in Nashville reading these forums. This is a red alert against buying any new construction homes by builder Jay Ellis of Airtight Resources. I would hesitate with extreme caution from steering your buyers to his homes.

This builder sells unfinished homes, neglects completion, loses interest and disappears onto the next project. He does not respect contractually signed deadlines. He can’t finish major components or finishing details, he makes all kinds of verbal assurances, then disappears. He has lied to my face repeatedly. He hires inferior workers and does not check their work for quality control. Then he pats himself on the back. There have been inexplicably long delays, and often he just ignores repairs.

I closed on my home early last summer. I won’t go into much detail about my experience, other than summarize key points. This is a development of four homes together in Bordeaux, all built by him. I was buyer #1. Buyer #2 closed several months after me in August. He has had the exact same experience I have had. His home was unfinished as well, all while #3 and #4 are now under construction. They are beautiful homes, and structurally they are sound. But everything else has been just awful.

Overall, he exhibits poor performance, lack of credibility and lack of integrity. This has been my experience. Lessons learned on my part!

I will say to his credit that a few delays were due to supplier backlog and the pandemic. I don’t have a problem with that. And some repairs were quickly addressed when they were priorities (heating, leaks, etc.) But this represents only a tiny fraction of dozens of problems. This does not excuse the overwhelmingly frustrating experience on every other point.

Most of the issues in my home have been addressed by now. Most. But to this day, six months later, there are still a few finishes and repairs that he has known about for months (in once case, since the day we closed) that have never been addressed. When I finally snapped a few months ago and confronted him about the endless nonsense and confusion in accomplishing simple things, he threatened to punch my teeth out for questioning his word. It’s been surreal to say the least. Total frustration from top to bottom with this guy.

In this development of four homes, there are two unhappy buyers. There will likely be two more. It’s a pattern. I’m trying to do my part to prevent any future buyers from experiencing the same disappointment and frustration as I have. I am also in the process of filing a complaint with the TN Department of Insurance and Commerce.

Stay away from builder Jay Ellis!!

Loading replies...