Nashville Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Diane Perry
Votes |
Need a thinker-type contractor for renov. in Nashville/Antioch TN

Diane Perry
Posted May 9 2020, 12:28

When I told my realtor what I want to do, he tried to talk me out of it. He is used to owners slapping paint on everything and just doing the minimum on rentals. The cabinets are old, but good. It’s the layout that sucks. 

I am the paying customer, but the contractor my realtor suggested just shrugged, and basically said it’s his way or the highway, so I told him, there’s the door. He wanted to do a whole bunch of other stuff that isn’t needed, at very high prices, refused to take the wall down, and said it’s all or nothing. Is this because I’m a woman? Is it a Southern thing? Is it just beyond his abilities so he tried to make it about me? I was in the kitchen and bath business for years. I often made suggestions to the client, but ultimately what they chose was their decision. Their money. Their house. 

Now I’m the client. I don’t know too many tradespeople in the area. The one the realtor suggested didn’t work out, obviously. I need someone who will take direction, and knows their stuff, and can get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Someone with follow-through.

Loading replies...