Votes
Warren Bryant
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
Medium Term Rental Regulations

Warren Bryant
  • Knoxville, TN
Posted Jan 13 2022, 14:05

I currently have a ranch house with basement that is 2bd/1ba on the main floor and a 2bd/2ba in the basement. Both floors have a laundry and a kitchen. They are separated by a staircase with a locked door. Both have multiple points of egress. Utilities are not separated, but there is individual HVAC on each floor. There is ample parking on and off street parking. There is also an unattached garage that I don't plan on giving tenants access to because I use it for storage. 

What problems would I run into if I were to try to rent these units out separately as either long term or medium term rentals. I'm especially interested in what I would need to do as far as zoning, regulations, code, etc. I'm not interested in STR because of the added layer of regulations.

The easiest thing to do would be to rent it as a single long term unit but I would be lowering my cashflow. We also are considering renting it as a single medium term unit (3-6 months) but I'm not clear on how the regulations differ from STR or long term.

Were gonna cashflow no matter what we do, but we wanna maximize it. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Loading replies...