Houston Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Tammy Nazari
Votes |
Houston Long Term and Short Term Rental Market

Tammy Nazari
Posted Jan 11 2022, 18:00

Hello ... I am looking for some information on Houston short and long term rental market. What are the main resources used by investors around Houston.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Eldred
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Syracuse, NY
Replied Jan 12 2022, 06:03

For short term rental you can use websites like Mashvisor, or look at what other properties are going for on airbnb/ vrbo. For long term I'd recommend talking to other investors to see which areas they've been having success. I'm a realtor and have a STR in Houston.

User Stats

Votes
Tammy Nazari
Votes |
Replied Jan 12 2022, 06:27

thank you Dylan ... are you available for a chat around this topic

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Woodard
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Jan 12 2022, 16:21

@Tammy Nazari if you're looking to research the STR market in Houston, check out sites like Rabbu and Airdna. A good rule of thumb is that if you can find purchase:revenue ratio less than 7:1, it has potential to be a good STR investment depending on some other factors. Good luck and DM me if you have any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jan 19 2022, 14:47

@Tammy Nazari@Tammy Nazari, There will be virtual meet-up on January 28th. It will be a way for you to connect with others in the Houston market.

Message me for more information.

User Stats

Votes
Zack Berridge
Pro Member
  • Houston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston
Replied Feb 7 2022, 12:58

@Jimmy Woodard would you mind explaining the 7:1 ratio rule of thumb?

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Woodard
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Feb 7 2022, 22:42

Sure thing @Zack Berridge. Before I do a deep dive pro forma on a property, I developed a quick way to see if the numbers work out. If the purchase price is less than 7x the revenue, I know this has the chance to be a good deal.

For example, let's say purchase is $500k. I need to see potential revenue above $71k (500/7). There are many ways to do this, from Rabbu to Airdna to good ol fashioned Airbnb research.

If I see the "golden ratio" in effect, then I plug numbers into my pro forma spreadsheet to make sure it all looks good on paper. Once I validate the numbers, I'm ready to make an offer. Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Zack Berridge
Pro Member
  • Houston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston
Replied Feb 8 2022, 04:13
Quote from @Jimmy Woodard:

Sure thing @Zack Berridge. Before I do a deep dive pro forma on a property, I developed a quick way to see if the numbers work out. If the purchase price is less than 7x the revenue, I know this has the chance to be a good deal.

For example, let's say purchase is $500k. I need to see potential revenue above $71k (500/7). There are many ways to do this, from Rabbu to Airdna to good ol fashioned Airbnb research.

If I see the "golden ratio" in effect, then I plug numbers into my pro forma spreadsheet to make sure it all looks good on paper. Once I validate the numbers, I'm ready to make an offer. Hope this helps!

I appreciate the explanation, Jimmy. Thank you!