Houston MF parking requirements

3 Replies

I’m reading the guidelines for MF parking requirements and understand the following requirements:

2/1: 1.66 spots

1/1: 1.33 spots

Studio: 1.25 spots

Some of these old small MF building 5-10 units have just enough spots. For ex a 1940s 5 plex I looked at recently had 5 spots. I assume these are grandfathered in. My question is if someone were to purchase and rehab one of these properties will the parking spot allocation be grandfathered or will it reset to the newer above regulations?

Originally posted by @Ryan Johnson :

I’m reading the guidelines for MF parking requirements and understand the following requirements:

2/1: 1.66 spots

1/1: 1.33 spots

Studio: 1.25 spots

Some of these old small MF building 5-10 units have just enough spots. For ex a 1940s 5 plex I looked at recently had 5 spots. I assume these are grandfathered in. My question is if someone were to purchase and rehab one of these properties will the parking spot allocation be grandfathered or will it reset to the newer above regulations?

Almost none of my properties have "enough" spots per the law, but have enough spots per market demand.  I have a building downtown with zero spots.  It's full (32 units).   I hate the fact the government tries to decide how many spots I need.  If I have too few spots, that'll hurt my demand and rent amounts.  Too many and I burn up more land than I should.  But that should be on the owner.

Rant out of the way, I've heavily upgraded a number of buildings and at no time did have to reconsider the amount of spots I have.  My 32 unit in Montrose has 21 spots for example and it's been gutted. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here