• Rental Property Investor
  • Mililani, HI
Votes |
San Antonio STR Out of State

Aaron Kawamoto
  • Mililani, HI
Posted Jan 3 2022, 16:45

Happy New Year San Antonio Short Term Rental Investors!  

Does anyone manage their STR from Out of State?

Did you set up yourself, did you use an interior designer to set up, or did you use a co-host?

I have a goal of setting up one Short Term Rental in 2022 from Out of State (Hawaii).  

My business partner and I are looking at a 2/br or smaller in the Downtown, Pearl, Riverwalk, Alamo area, or a 4br.+ in the Sea World area.  Any opinion on which area would provide bigger potential net profits?  

I know the prop. taxes are going to be higher downtown with higher price per night, but the 1604 are will sleep more (more bedrooms), but may have more wear and tear.

User Stats

Votes
Betty Cruz
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 3 2022, 17:17

There are lots of things to consider, but one of them is saturation. The downtown areas are in high demand but there is a lot of competition with many options for travelers. Also, don’t forget to check with the city to be sure your unit would be eligible for a permit. There are density rules that prohibit how many licenses they give out on each block. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Kawamoto
  • Mililani, HI
Votes |
  • Mililani, HI
Replied Jan 3 2022, 17:36

Hi Betty, thank you for the response.  I am aware of the SA One Stop website (https://gis.sanantonio.gov/DSD...), and 12.5% block face limit.  I don’t see that as an issue, at least the regulations in San Antonio are clear and defined.  As far as market competition goes, the “invisible hand” will sort that all out.  Main thing is I give it my best shot.

IntellCRE logo
IntellCRE
|
Sponsored
Supercharge Your Multifamily Investing with AI Source, screen, evaluate, underwrite, and act on hundreds of deals with data and confidence!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Caldwell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, Tx
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, Tx
Replied Jan 4 2022, 12:39

Downtown is a great spot for long term rentals or an AirBnb play. Northeast San Antonio (Windcrest, Converse, Alamo Heights, Terrell Heights) and the surrounding areas have potential for great cash flow both long and short term.

San Antonio has multiple military bases, I would also consider these areas in the future if you're looking for a long term rental. Most of the time it's super easy to fill properties in these areas with tenants. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Kawamoto
  • Mililani, HI
Votes |
  • Mililani, HI
Replied Jan 5 2022, 05:35

Hi Garrett, thank you for the input.  Would you say the potential for cashflow extends out to Universal City/Schertz too?

I am also aware of the military bases in SA.  That is part of the reason I selected San Antonio as my next target.  Like Hawaii, there are a lot of military bases, meaning an influx of potential renters constantly.  Thank you for that.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Caldwell
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, Tx
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, Tx
Replied Jan 13 2022, 10:00

Sorry for the late response Aaron! 

Yes, in my opinion Universal City/Schertz is a solid rental area. Typically the properties in this area will be more expensive than NW, inner westside but I've done quite a few deals in that area. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Kawamoto
  • Mililani, HI
Votes |
  • Mililani, HI
Replied Jan 14 2022, 12:29

@Garrett Caldwell no worries man!  We are all busy.  That’s great to know about Universal/Schertz.  I’ll keep my eyes peeled.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 6 2022, 09:51
Quote from @Aaron Kawamoto:

Happy New Year San Antonio Short Term Rental Investors!  

Does anyone manage their STR from Out of State?

Did you set up yourself, did you use an interior designer to set up, or did you use a co-host?

I have a goal of setting up one Short Term Rental in 2022 from Out of State (Hawaii).  

My business partner and I are looking at a 2/br or smaller in the Downtown, Pearl, Riverwalk, Alamo area, or a 4br.+ in the Sea World area.  Any opinion on which area would provide bigger potential net profits?  

I know the prop. taxes are going to be higher downtown with higher price per night, but the 1604 are will sleep more (more bedrooms), but may have more wear and tear.

Hi Aaron!

Did you ever start on an STR in San Antonio? We are starting to establish ours and we are out of state.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Alcala
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles County
Replied May 16 2022, 15:11

Hi!

I currently live out of state and own a STR in San Antonio (near Alamo Heights area). I am a SuperHost and a cohost - feel free to reach out with any questions!

User Stats

Votes
Diana Costta
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Nov 26 2022, 19:17

Hi @Elizabeth Alcala

I am also an out of state investor, interested in SA. Sent you a DM. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 27 2022, 08:39

I don't even manage mine in state. Get a proper STR property manager and they will cover the whole 9 yards. From acquisition, to furnishing, to description, to what kind of linens you put in the place.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Dec 9 2022, 21:35
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

I don't even manage mine in state. Get a proper STR property manager and they will cover the whole 9 yards. From acquisition, to furnishing, to description, to what kind of linens you put in the place.

Do you know PM for short term rentals in San Antonio?

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 21:41

I do, shoot me a text

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.