Grant D.
  • Glendale, CA
Votes |
Dallas - Foundation Issue? Need advice

Grant D.
  • Glendale, CA
Posted Mar 12 2018, 18:49

Hi fellow TX investors,

Please keep in mind that I am not a contractor or engineer (so if I am not making sense, I apologize)

I own multiple SFH's in the greater Dallas area, and I have been having issues with one of my houses in Lewisville for quite some time.

Quick background - I bought this house about 3 years ago, and it was a flip, but the inspection did not show any major issues, and was a solid deal at the time.  Ever since, we have been having a ton of issues that all seem to be related to a larger issue, but that we have been unable to get a consensus on.

Issues - It started with a pipe breaking in the attic, and then some cracking/sagging to some of the walls.  We found out that the flippers had removed a wall (without permits, which they had not disclosed).  Since then we have had foundation people disagree (some saying there are foundation issues, and others saying that its because of the wall that was removed, and some even saying there is nothing wrong, its just normal movement).  I even had a structural engineer take a look, and he said that it was neither the foundation or the wall that was removed, and that it was normal movement.  We have made the cosmetic repairs, but every time we do, they re-appear within 6 months.

I dont mind making repairs, but has anyone had an issue that they were having a hard time getting a straight answer on what is wrong?  What would you recommend as next steps?  I don't want to spend a ton on foundation or putting posts where the wall was, if that isnt going to fix the problem. 

Open to all suggestions!

Thanks! 

Loading replies...