Wes Hagman
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Investor - Newly Licensed (Question)

Wes Hagman
  • Austin, TX
Posted Nov 10 2016, 19:04

Hey everyone!

My situation is somewhat unique so I'd love any insight, advice, tips, recommendations, etc. I just passed my Texas real estate license exam and am deciding which brokerage to select in Austin, TX. The primary reason I got my license is because I was told it would be beneficial to have when investing (I want to begin investing in Austin real estate). However, I am finding it somewhat difficult to find the right arraignment with a broker given my unique criteria - I have a full time job that I enjoy and plan on staying with, I would be a part-time independent contractor, I would not be very active (especially compared to your average full-time agent; maybe 1-2 deals a year), and I plan to primarily represent myself in transactions (however, I'm open to giving fees or splits to a firm). 

Given my criteria, I've heard people recommend a firm like Keller Williams because they offer free courses that are incredibly significant for a newbie like me. But on the flip side, some say KW would be ill-advised, as I am not going to be incredibly active (maybe 1-2 deals a year) and KW is not the most inexpensive/practical choice for someone so inactive and busy with work (I work 50 hours a week). Secondly, some people have recommended just hanging my license under an online virtual brokerage because its the cheapest option and you don't have to give any splits to the principal broker. But on the flip side, you have zero resources this route to help you through what will be my first real estate transactions. Thirdly, I've been told to contact small real estate brokerages in Austin, as they would be more open to making a special arraignment given my criteria. However, I don't know if being an agent at a 3 or 4 person firm is practical, as I would not be a part of the active, ongoing operations of the small firm like the other agents (seems like it may be odd to hire a part-time agent to such a small firm who wouldn't be involved as much as the others).

Does anyone have any advice, brokerages, insight, etc. that might be helpful?

Thanks so much in advance!

- Wes

Loading replies...