Skip to content
Austin Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Is rent control in other cities good for Austin Texas?

Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Posted Feb 5 2018, 18:01

In today's wall street journal, there is an article about rent control proposals in other places like the the typical spots in California, New York City and now Portland, Seattle,  and others. I think that anyone with a wee bit of brain power can figure out that rent control is bad for everyone. If the landlord isn't able to get market rents then the costs of operations shouldn't be at market prices either. One cant expect the handyman, or the cleaners or the electrician or the plumber to work at below wages just to cut the tenant a break. Its economics, the tradesmen/women will simply not work there..I wouldn't if I were them. So, who gets squeezed? Landlord..Yes but the tenants will ultimately have to fix everything themselves because I would not be fixing it as I now have an incentive for them to move out. So that is the economics as I see it.

The interesting idea that just occurred to me is do those policies in other places create more capital flows to less regulated areas like Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio? Its a hunch that it does. Thoughts? 

Loading replies...