Skip to content
Austin Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Cindy L.
  • Investor
  • Del Valle, TX
Votes |
Have you sold a house that is not level?

Cindy L.
  • Investor
  • Del Valle, TX
Posted Jun 27 2018, 13:45

I purchased a house in East Austin close to the airport to fix and resale.  House on slab is not level...  one bedroom in front corner of the house is higher than the rest of the house by about 3.5" to 4".    Independent engineer says that even though the house is not level, the foundation is fine.  All doors and windows open correctly, no cracks in foundation, etc..  just some sheet rock cracks. Engineer does not recommend repair - unless it's just for the sake of leveling the house.  The resale values in this area aren't very high right now.  Contemplating on whether to level the house and fix land grading/drainage issues which may end up costing $20K and doing some cosmetic updates or whether just to leave the house as is and do cosmetic fixes and just disclose to buyer that it is not level.  In that case I would sell the house for about $220,000 being unlevel - which is a discount from $240,000 going market rate.  Has anyone sold a house that is unlevel?  My thought is that if the engineer says it's fine, then there is no real need to level the house, but for the fact that some people might not like the fact that it is uneven.  I have never sold a house that was not level, but thinking about those first time home buyers that might appreciate being able to get into a house for under $240,000 in Austin.  I'm just worried about leveling the house which will require interior piers and exterior piers and other damage that might occur after the house is lifted/leveled...  for instance will the rock veneer fall off? Will the windows and doors no longer open and close?  Will the tile in the shower and tubs fall off, etc...    I want to do the right thing, but not sure what it is since engineer says it doesn't have any foundation problems.  Do other's always level a house before reselling?  Any advice?

Loading replies...