Non-immigrant status and real estate agent license

1 Reply

Hello,

I'm a french student who is attending the real estate certificate at UCLA Extension in September and I'm quite worried about something.

I will come to the US with a F-1 visa and I'll try to complete an OPT (Optional Practicle Training) at the end of the certificate. Will I be able to get my real estate agent license at the end of this OPT considering the fact that I'm not a US Citizen ?

UCLA can not answer me and I called the Californian Bureau of Real Estate that did not give me a definitive answer.

Thank you very much for helping !!

This question is better suited for those with expertise in immigration law. I know a little about the subject, but not enough to be very helpful. I am not sure if you can obtain an F-1 non-immigrant visa for a certificate program. F-1 are given for degree seeking students, not those looking to comnplete a short certificate program.

I believe that an M-1 non-immigrant visa would be more appropriate for that kind of training. M-1 are usually given so that a person can learn a technical or vocational skill that can be carried back to their country and used there. I honestly don't think real estate falls in that category since there is a huge difference in real estate laws between countries.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.