Skip to content
International Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Michelle T.
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Newbie wanting to invest... in London or in US?

Michelle T.
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Mar 28 2016, 11:46

Hello BP!

Trying to do some research for a friend.  She is an Aussie living in London (about to get her citizenship there) and has some cash that she would like invest in real estate.  She has plans for the next couple years to trek around a few countries, living her life, etc. and while she is doing that she doesn't want her money sitting in a bank not working for her. 

Her initial thought was that she would invest in London. She does not intend to keep the investment long into the future but is thinking after a few years she may sell the property and hopefully have earned enough in equity and appreciation to then take that money back to Australia to buy a home where prices are way high. (I know appreciation should be icing on the cake and equity is not going to be great after only a few years - but better than the bank right?)

When I first discovered BP I was so excited about my own plans, I was telling her all about it and of course knowing she has quite a plump bank account I joking (half joking) said she should let me invest her money in real estate here in Indianapolis.....  so, she has now come to me for advice and of course I don't know what she should do because A) I don't know anything about London real estate, and B) I don't know anything about her tax and/ or other implications in investing from abroad if she were to invest here in Indy.

Anyone have any pointers to get us going in the right direction?  I know it is a very broad subject and I guess I'm hoping to find someone or a connection/company in London that could offer advice.

What would you tell your friend?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...