• Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Rwanda?

Jack Beach
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Oct 14 2016, 09:46
Anyone with experience investing in East Africa? I lived in Rwanda for the majority of 2009-2014 and considering a move back. If the move happens I'll be looking to invest in real estate. Would like to meet others who may be familiar with the system, market and procedures there.

User Stats

Votes
Raina B.
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 11 2017, 16:41

Hi I'm curious about the different real estate markets in African countries. How did your experience with the Rwanda market go?

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Lam
  • Sammamish, WA
Votes |
  • Sammamish, WA
Replied Sep 7 2023, 21:18

@Jack Beach I’m also curious about your Rwanda real estate activities. How did they go?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Lam
  • Sammamish, WA
Votes |
  • Sammamish, WA
Replied Sep 7 2023, 21:19

@Raina B. did you end up investing in real estate in Rwanda?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 28 2023, 17:55

Rwanda is a fantastic place to invest, particularly in Kigali and Bugesera(where the new airport is being built)

User Stats

Votes
Jack Beach
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Dec 29 2023, 06:56

I realize it’s been a while since I posted here. Will try to answer everyone’s inquiries in one post. 

I had two plots of land in Rwanda and sold them during covid around 2021. I wish I had kept them because land is appreciating very fast there, especially near the new airport as @Benjamin Timungwa has said. There is a plot I am looking to purchase now which is situated just next to it overlooking the new runway. 

Rwanda is certainly going to grow in the years ahead, although it is difficult to finance deals there with local funding (banks, etc.) due to the rates. Last I checked around a year ago they were 13-18% for a 20 year mortgage!!! BUT, many developers are building new homes and selling for under $100K. If you’re looking to do a rental property it may be difficult, but not totally impossible. 

I love Rwanda and will continue investing there into the foreseeable future. The future is very bright.