• Portugal
Votes |
Property Investment in Portugal

Thomas Youngman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Portugal
Posted Jan 8 2019, 17:57

Hi,

The purpose of this post is to connect with anyone interested/actively investing in the Portuguese Real Estate market. 

I am moving to Portugal in March 2019 and wanted to connect with fellow Property investors. There seems to be an interesting investment case for Portugal currently and by building a supportive network of investors we will be able to discuss opportunities and build our experience faster than if we go it alone

When I arrive in March I will be focusing on learning the market and seeing which strategies will work for me. 

Thanks

Thomas

User Stats

Votes
Andreas Nicolet
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Jan 3 2021, 07:15

Hi everybody, I recently joined the Forum because of this topic. I'm 38 years old with a background in corporate finance, and recently moved to Portugal for a job opportunity in the cleantech space, and have decided I am going to get into the RE investment space. I'm looking for likeminded, hopefully already successful individuals, who would like to chat and share stories about the opportunities and ways of working in RE here in Portugal.

Any meetups happening in Lisbon, remote- or on-site? Or if anyone is up for it, let's grab coffee?

User Stats

Votes
Rui Dias Costa
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Jan 3 2021, 12:07
Originally posted by @Andreas Nicolet:

Hi everybody, I recently joined the Forum because of this topic. I'm 38 years old with a background in corporate finance, and recently moved to Portugal for a job opportunity in the cleantech space, and have decided I am going to get into the RE investment space. I'm looking for likeminded, hopefully already successful individuals, who would like to chat and share stories about the opportunities and ways of working in RE here in Portugal.

Any meetups happening in Lisbon, remote- or on-site? Or if anyone is up for it, let's grab coffee?

Hi Andreas,

I remote meet-up sounds like a great idea.

Regards, Rui

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Rui Dias Costa
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Jan 3 2021, 12:10

Hi,

I am struggling to understand what is the relevance of the rents and loans furlough to the rent and RE prices. When they finally end, how do you think they will translate into the market? Will the rent and RE values fall? Will bank credit still be around (at what terms)?

Does anyone have an historic framework in mind that we can use to navigate todays reality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Rui

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 13 2021, 15:21

Hey guys, i have been working on something for all real estate investors in Portugal to easily meet each other and talk about real estate in this country. Please send me a message with your e-mail and lets meet. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 16 2021, 16:15

Hey there everyone! Seems everyone here has already some deals going on and actual experience in RE investing. I am a bit younger (32 years) but have been living in Dublin for the past 7 so looking forward to start investing in Portugal. Good to see there is some momentum going on here. Wonder if an online webinar or event would be of interest of everyone here? Did anyone try to organize something already? Have always wanted to live in Lisboa but the prices there seem to be through the roof. Looking into deals in Porto/Matosinhos and also Aveiro areas which I know very well. 

User Stats

Votes
Mauro Neves
  • Investor
  • Lisbon
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lisbon
Replied Mar 20 2021, 10:30
Originally posted by @António Pinho:

Hey there everyone! Seems everyone here has already some deals going on and actual experience in RE investing. I am a bit younger (32 years) but have been living in Dublin for the past 7 so looking forward to start investing in Portugal. Good to see there is some momentum going on here. Wonder if an online webinar or event would be of interest of everyone here? Did anyone try to organize something already? Have always wanted to live in Lisboa but the prices there seem to be through the roof. Looking into deals in Porto/Matosinhos and also Aveiro areas which I know very well. 

Hello, I think it would be very interesting to schedule a meeting or webinar to discuss REI in Portugal and share experiences. I'm hearing that with the end of banks loans moratorium, new inventory will enter the market and that can generate good opportunities for buyers.

Bank rates are still very low, and you can get a fixed rate below 2%. I'm closing my 4th rental property investment and I'm seeing that rents are still very atractive in some areas.

Antonio you can look for places close to lisbon (Almada, Setubal, etc) where you also have good infrastructure and get to Lisbon in 15 or 20 min.

Best,

Mauro Neves

User Stats

Votes
Cíntia K.
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Mar 24 2021, 15:37

Been away for a while... with this lockdown I wonder when we can actually have a meetup. Why not have an online meetup in the second week of April? Anyone in? Just meet & greet and some chatting... ... :) 

User Stats

Votes
Stefan Folkert
Pro Member
  • British Virgin Islands
Votes |
Pro Member
  • British Virgin Islands
Replied Mar 25 2021, 05:53
Originally posted by @Cíntia K.:

Been away for a while... with this lockdown I wonder when we can actually have a meetup. Why not have an online meetup in the second week of April? Anyone in? Just meet & greet and some chatting... ... :) 

Sounds good!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 26 2021, 04:53

I am in!

User Stats

Votes
Andreas Nicolet
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Mar 26 2021, 05:32

Me too!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 26 2021, 13:23

Great idea, thanks @Mauro Neves!

User Stats

Votes
Mauro Neves
  • Investor
  • Lisbon
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lisbon
Replied Mar 26 2021, 13:39
Originally posted by @Cíntia K.:

Sounds great! 2nd week of April works for me

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cíntia K.
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Mar 29 2021, 03:55

Great! Let's pencil in the time and date (and also the link to the video call) next weekend!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 29 2021, 14:55

Feel free to use my discord server to set and have those meetings ;)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 31 2021, 03:43

+1. Marco has set up a great service there.

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Nark
  • Investor
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Apr 6 2021, 13:26

Hi everyone :)
So glad I found this forum! I’m originally from Thailand but also lived in Paris and New York. Just signed on a property in Lisbon last week so this is now home. I renovate and manage 14 rental properties. Super interested in old buildings rehabilitations and student accommodations.

Question:
1) The apartment is in the red zone for ST rentals so I can’t apply for a new license...if I lease out the apartment for a few months when I'm away, do I need to do anything legally? Or just avoid ST booking platforms.

2) Converting the roof into a terrace (apt. on the top floor). I'm told to just get approval from neighbours and management (with building minutes as evidence) and build it quietly. No need to bother about getting approval from the city hall which could take years. Even a policeman told me this but I found many recent court cases where owners are forced to demolish the unregistered terrace. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts? 

Happy to connect/meet with other RE enthusiasts.

Natalie

User Stats

Votes
Cíntia K.
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Apr 7 2021, 15:29

Hi everyone.What about 17th April via Zoom?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 14 2021, 14:15

I'd be keen to join as well!

User Stats

Votes
Cíntia K.
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Lisbon, Portugal
Replied May 5 2021, 14:28
Originally posted by @Giuseppe Graziano:

+1. Marco has set up a great service there.

I tried to look up but I failed to find the link to get there...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2021, 18:58

Hi. I am a REI Investor in the USA. I am moving to Portugal in the beginning of next year. Would love to meet. I am planning on visiting Portugal this year in November. Is there any REI meetup happening then? As for now, who would be willing to connect?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 30 2021, 04:00

Hello,

I'm new to the market in Portugal, currently "scouting" Ericeira. Anyone in the area would be keen on meeting up for having a coffee + pastel de nata :-) ?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Beneventi
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Porto & Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Porto & Lisbon, Portugal
Replied Jul 10 2021, 06:50

Hey folks. I am an American-born Portuguese descendent who has recently relocated to Portugal in January of this year. I have applied for my citizenship and am researching the real estate industry here. I am in the process of a career-shift and am considering going into the business here. As a newbie both to real estate and Portugal, I would be really interested in meeting up with/chatting with anyone that is willing to share their experience and provide some direction. Many thanks! (Tambem falo portugues!). 

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Juan Correia
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 4 2021, 01:38
Originally posted by @Joshua Beneventi:

Hey folks. I am an American-born Portuguese descendent who has recently relocated to Portugal in January of this year. I have applied for my citizenship and am researching the real estate industry here. I am in the process of a career-shift and am considering going into the business here. As a newbie both to real estate and Portugal, I would be really interested in meeting up with/chatting with anyone that is willing to share their experience and provide some direction. Many thanks! (Tambem falo portugues!). 

Hi Joshua, Im in Lisbon and the Algarve. PM me so we can meet and talk

User Stats

Votes
Joao Antonio
  • Investor
  • Elsene, Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Elsene, Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest
Replied Aug 17 2021, 06:45

Hi everyone, I am a Portuguese national who has recently decided to move back to PT with my family. I own a property management company and am looking to get into the investment game too and to meet people on a similar path. I see there has been some meet ups but due to the pandemic there havent been many recently. Could anyone share if there is any meet up organized soon or would people be interested attending one? Looking forward to it!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Tomita
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 20 2021, 21:26

Hi Everyone, I've been following this thread but wanted to introduce myself. My name is Greg and I'm a US based investor, LT and STR in AZ, FL and IN. I'm very interested in finding a property in the Algarve region or possibly another tourist driven area for STR and eventually living there more and more over the next 3-4 years. Love to connect and chat with others doing STR investing in Portugal, esp in the Algarve, Cascais area or surrounding. Thanks!