Real Estate Agent choice.

5 Replies

Hello everyone, 

I wanted some advice from the local community and other people as well. I am in the process of getting all my ducks together in order to purchase my first single family home. I am a first time homebuyer all together, and I've never picked a real estate agent before. My question is should I just start making cold calls to REA in the area I'm interested in? Or do i go to local REI meetings and scope out the talent while there?

Also, I have a REA who is in FL. He sort of is my mentor. He proposed to makes some calls around EP in my name, to find the best REA. Should I go this route or go at it myself?

Thanks for helping out this newbie!

@Lynnsay Marsan I would say either get a referral from your existing agent, ask on here for a referral or ask some of your friends and family for referrals.  Often the best agent you are going to find for you is going to come to you through an existing relationship.

Hi @Lynnsay Marsan ! I would look for an agent that at least owns their own home, is an investor also (as you grow into that, maybe not so important finding your first primary) and has a focus on representing buyers. The ABR designation at least points to that. Definitely ask for referrals at a meetup of other investors as well. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

@Lynnsay Marsan I would say either get a referral from your existing agent, ask on here for a referral or ask some of your friends and family for referrals.  Often the best agent you are going to find for you is going to come to you through an existing relationship.

Thank you ! I will ask here on BP. I'm new to the area so I don't have a lot of friends, let alone family in the area. I do trust my REA friend in FL, so you are right, I should wait for a referral from him. I guess I'm very eager to start, but I dont want to shoot myself in the foot. Thanks again!

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

Hi @Lynnsay Marsan! I would look for an agent that at least owns their own home, is an investor also (as you grow into that, maybe not so important finding your first primary) and has a focus on representing buyers. The ABR designation at least points to that. Definitely ask for referrals at a meetup of other investors as well. Good luck!

Sorry, I'm new to this. What does ABR stand for? Also is it accepted to ask my prospective REA if he/she owns investment homes?

Oh - ABR is Accredited Buyer Representative. Additional training the agent opts for and may mean their focus is more on buyers vs listings.

I would only work with an agent that is also an investor, but I'm not a first time buyer anymore.  I would make sure my agent owns their own home, though.  That's a deal breaker for me.  Hopefully some agents will chime in and help as well!

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide