• Los Angeles
Votes |
Looking For F1/H1B Visa REI Advice

Leon Huang
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Los Angeles
Posted Nov 17 2020, 20:02

Hi all. I've become fascinated with real estate the last couple of months or so and have been devouring BP content. Really excited and want to get my feet wet with assembling a team and closing my first deal. 

I'm currently on an F1 visa doing STEM OPT with a shot of an H1B in the next 2 years. I've read a couple of posts saying that as long as I obtain passive income from investing in real estate, there's no legal issues. However, I've also been told by an immigration lawyer that if I own any property, that could affect my chances of getting an E2 visa if my H1B applications weren't successful.

The intersection between immigration law, taxes and real estate is just really confusing and I'd like to talk to somebody who can give me legal and financial council on how best to invest (e.g set up an LLC so there are no properties under your name, get a property management company to prove passive income etc etc). I'm not sure where to look for people in this intersection so I appreciate if the BP community could suggest people I speak with to sort this murky REI on a visa stuff out.

Thanks for your time all. 

Loading replies...