Purchasing US real estate as a Foreign National

4 Replies

Good day everyone. I am new to the industry of real estate and I have been reading and educating myself on some steps and procedures of purchasing real estate in America; particularly Florida.
Being a foreign national, I realise that there is some red tape that I need to overcome; 
1) Such as creating a bank account (which I read only two banks offer to create accounts for foreign nationals and I must come to America to create it).
     1.1) I've also read that I should open a business account to pay less taxes. I'm not sure how that works though.
2) Downpayment for foreign nationals are set between 35%-40%... nothing lower!
3) Lenders only offer to purchase properties for a minimum of $150,000.

Basically I would like to know if these obstacles are accurate and if so how do I overcome them. Personally I have no problem with coming to America to open the account, however if I can do it eletronically it would be a big help.
Also, is 35%-40% the best offer available for me?
Finally, why can't I purchase a cheaper properties through lenders?

Thank you guys for your help in advance.

@Ephraim Lett

Welcome to Bp! First off what states are you looking to invest in? Second I think you can get around all that red tape I have some details I would like to share with you, I invest in Detroit Michigan market and profits are high.

Originally posted by @Ephraim Lett :

Good day everyone. I am new to the industry of real estate and I have been reading and educating myself on some steps and procedures of purchasing real estate in America; particularly Florida.
Being a foreign national, I realise that there is some red tape that I need to overcome; 
1) Such as creating a bank account (which I read only two banks offer to create accounts for foreign nationals and I must come to America to create it).
     1.1) I've also read that I should open a business account to pay less taxes. I'm not sure how that works though.
2) Downpayment for foreign nationals are set between 35%-40%... nothing lower!
3) Lenders only offer to purchase properties for a minimum of $150,000.

Basically I would like to know if these obstacles are accurate and if so how do I overcome them. Personally I have no problem with coming to America to open the account, however if I can do it eletronically it would be a big help.
Also, is 35%-40% the best offer available for me?
Finally, why can't I purchase a cheaper properties through lenders?

Thank you guys for your help in advance.

As a Foreign national you need to have two forms of id to open a bank account.

1) Passport

2) Utility Bill for a property you are renting in the US or US Driver's License or US Bank Card (Master/Visa/Amex)

This is a 100 point KYC norm. 

Be it a business or a personal. These are required. 

If it is a Business, in addition to the above,  you would need your EIN and Articles of Organisation.

Secondly, Lenders (tier 2) will only Lend on "Cash out loans" at 65-70% LTV.

Mainline banks won't. As you don't have a SSN (Social Security Number). And no Credit History.

As a sugestion, you should have the asset purchased in Cash and then work out with a Lender to Cash Out on appraised value...

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here