• Champaign, IL
Votes |
Considering a move to Seattle from Midwest

Shawn Q.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Champaign, IL
Posted Oct 31 2017, 09:55

I'm considering moving to Seattle (for personal, not investing reasons) but I wouldn't want to abandon RE to do it, and the heat of that market is a bit intimidating. I'm wondering what you all think would be some good areas to watch, websites, etc. to gain basic knowledge of the area with a specific focus on sub-markets that I might want to purchase a home in. 

A little about myself: I'm an investor in Champaign, a college-town market. I own 4 homes and house hack my current residence (which I would hope to continue to do if I move). I don't have the equity to liquidate and buy up to the $500K+ level the market seems to demand, and I am nowhere near a high earner. I make about $50K per year, which is decent in Champaign but seems like a pittance in Seattle. I have a possible pool of up to 5 renters who have moved to the area recently - the friends/personal reasons I mentioned earlier. My tameframe is roughly 6-12 months from beginning of a job search to move I'm assuming.

Any thoughts on where I should focus my efforts in terms of tracking prices, building market knowledge, and learning about market trends? I'd like to remain within at most an hour of downtown (like everyone else it seems). Bonus points for strong nerd (D&D, comic, tabletop, etc.) culture in the area. 

Loading replies...