Newbie wanting to get started!

5 Replies

Hey everyone! 

My wife and I are very interested in getting started into REI. We both work full time with two kids and dream of having rentals generating passive income for us.

We currently have a great house on the north side of town. We're not sure if we should do a HELOC, continue saving and wait or what.

Just want to introduce myself and get started on this journey. 

Hi Gabe!  Welcome to BP!  My hubby and I are much in the same situation as you. We are starting out, spending a lot of time looking for our first rental or buy and hold.   We did do a heloc, but for us, it was more of a set back. It took us a few years to pay it off.. spent more money paying it back then we did saving toward the investment fund.  Right now, you’ve probably noticed that housing inventory is low, but seems like it starting to increase with the nicer weather.   I think making the heloc work, would happen if you had a property to get into right away so you could focus on using that passive income toward paying the heloc and the new mortgage back... it’s definitely an option, but I think it might be better to have your investment savings.    

Have you gone to any REI meetings? There some on Thursday evenings. We haven't be able go attend one yet, need to do some rescheduling of kid activities to make it happen, so we're working on that. But definitely looking forward to going soon and networking. Keep in touch... we love expanding our network and sharing in our journey! Good luck! Tanya and Adam

Originally posted by @Tanya Gruell :

Hi Gabe!  Welcome to BP!  My hubby and I are much in the same situation as you. We are starting out, spending a lot of time looking for our first rental or buy and hold.   We did do a heloc, but for us, it was more of a set back. It took us a few years to pay it off.. spent more money paying it back then we did saving toward the investment fund.  Right now, you’ve probably noticed that housing inventory is low, but seems like it starting to increase with the nicer weather.   I think making the heloc work, would happen if you had a property to get into right away so you could focus on using that passive income toward paying the heloc and the new mortgage back... it’s definitely an option, but I think it might be better to have your investment savings.    

Have you gone to any REI meetings? There some on Thursday evenings. We haven't be able go attend one yet, need to do some rescheduling of kid activities to make it happen, so we're working on that. But definitely looking forward to going soon and networking. Keep in touch... we love expanding our network and sharing in our journey! Good luck! Tanya and Adam

No we haven't been to any meetings where are they at and what time are they? We would have to do some scheduling too with our kids. Could you provide a link?

Yeah we have some saved to put towards it but not nearly enough for a down payment that's why we feel stuck at this point. I know it's our lack of knowledge of investing holding us back. But that's why I'm here!

This post has been removed.

Gabe - thanks for the post ...fyi :

1) it never hurts to get a HELOC in place for the maximum amount on your primary home ...if you never use it - you never need to pay anything for it ....if you need to use it - it will be available ...most HELOC lenders only lend on primary residences and most combined loan to values tend to be maxed at 90% of value ( there are exceptions to both of these items )

2) regarding down payment challenge - there are FHA loans that allow a 3.5% down payment and there are conforming programs that allow as little as 3% of the purchase price

3) if you are looking  at properties  or thinking about looking ...get pre approved  ( not pre qualified )  in case you need to move on an opportunity 

thanks and all the best 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here