• Tacoma, WA
Votes |
House Hack vs. City of Tacoma Permitting

Aaron Zike
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Posted Oct 10 2018, 13:39

My wife and I found a SFH in Tacoma that is big enough that we could easily and safely hack it four ways while also living in it. Intent is to live in the largest area of the house, rent an already existing basement apartment on short term rental, add a bathroom and kitchenette to two finished rooms in the garage and create a second short term rental, and then put a yurt in the back yard with sole access to another bathroom that'd be installed in the garage as another STR. This, even at conservative occupancy rates, would generate quite a bit of CF. The issue is the City of Tacoma.

The way the house is currently zoned, it isn't eligable for the detached ADU modifications in the garage. They state that the yurt in the backyard counts as an ADU as well. And I don't even know if the city knows about the already-existing ADU in the basement. Beyond that, I read in the statutes that any SFH can only have one permitted ADU, and we are looking at running three. We aren't under contract for this home, merely been watching it on the market for about a month now. Does anyone on here house hack in Tacoma? Any of you have experience with the permitting office in Tacoma? How can I verify that the existing ADU is permitted without showing my hand? Has anybody run the risk of running multiple STRs from a SFH and what sort of repercussions did you see?

The pending City's DADU regulations are here:

http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/planning/DADU/ADU_PublicHearingPacket%20(PC%2010-3-18).pdf  any input from you guys would be great.  Thanks.

Loading replies...