Not to be confused with Vancouver BC...

23 Replies

Are there any local investors, agents, lenders, attorneys and/or general contractors willing to divulge information pertaining as to what type(s) of property they might be interested in buying/working? What REIA groups are you guys/gals attending, if any? I've gone to two Northwest REIA meetings based out in Portland, OR. This post would serve other lazy investors looking to network with like-minded individuals.

@Motu Lemafa Check out the RareBird REIA meetings held monthly in Portland (second Thursday of the month) They have a good turnout and there's great information at these meetings.

Second Rare bird.... good guys nice people.. some good content.

@Steve Moody thanks for this information.  I'll try my best to make it to this meet up. I know this is redundant because I remember this being asked on one of the more recent Podcast. But for the sake of other newbies who might catch this before getting to Podcast 1...Seventy something..Are there any suggestions to other new investors who might be interested in attending, on how they might approach experienced investors/developers to seek out advice/network without looking like a fool? I know for myself, it would be terrifying to walk up to @Jay Hinrichs because of his success and the characterization I perceive of him through the forums. No offense, I'm just scared of you. In fact, it's because of you I began my course studies to get my Real Estate License just to Wholesale(I'm aware it's not needed, but I want to show my buyers I operate ethically & morally)

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

too funny....  I am just a guy who does real estate .. I think in the long run a RE license is beneficial you never know what path in the business you can take. 

you may want to go to the courthouse and watch the Friday foreclosure action.. see who is bidding.. I know most of them... then when its quiet ask them if you could run some deals by them some time.

Rod Nylund is a big player there and nice guy he will talk to you.  tell him I said HI  !

I just heard about him networking with a broker at the last REIA meeting. Thanks! I'll be sure to mention you if I do get the opportunity to speak to him. Thank you.

@Motu Lemafa You may be over thinking things a bit. What's nice is that you want to learn the ropes, and people in general love to talk about themselves. Perfect combination. Some of the most valuable networking I've ever done is to ask more experienced investors/developers if they would be willing to give me a quick tour of one of their current projects. I will typically try to take them out for a coffee or lunch afterwards if time permits.

I personally like it when people take an interest in our projects and I have no problem chatting with someone that is interested in our line of business. Networking is your lifeblood and I highly recommend you read the book "Dig your well before your thirsty" by Harvey Mackay. Best networking book you'll ever read.

Originally posted by @Motu Lemafa :

...  This post would serve other lazy investors looking to network with like-minded individuals. 

Sounds like you are seeking to network with the lazy investors ...

Lol.  No Sir, happy 4th!

There is no magic formula, yet that is what many new to the industry seek. @Motu Lemafa, I suggest you just engage as many people as you can in-person to what you want to do and be naturally curious.

For me, getting new clients has been hard though the referrals have started to come. My long-term plan has always been to be involved in investing though for me to gain needed cash I knew I would have to buy and sell for other people. Surprising to me, I have found a niche by providing service to those that have been told "No" by others in the industry. Many agents and investors I encounter are cherry picking. And of the investors I have found so far, they don't understand the market, buying behaviors, or why they are making money. All they know is, that they are...for now. i.e. One I met recently converted a garage into a bonus room yet didn't put in a closet and skimped on paint on the whole house. Or trying to save a few bucks with minimal landscaping. As builders have told me, rookie mistakes. This investor was more worried about their pennies versus their dollars. There is no better teacher than the School of Hard Knocks. Just get out there and do it.

@Steve Milford I appreciate the insight.  You're not the only person I've come across to suggest just going out and go through the process to gain experience--it's solid advice for any industry.  I can imagine with forums that there's a lot of redundancy. I'll be a bit more careful with how I word my posts because sarcasm could be mistaken for being unvarnished, especially in a professional-like setting.

Being new, I'm kind of sitting around waiting for REIA meetings, call-backs from yellow letters, writing more yellow letters, driving neighborhoods, doing my own comparative market analysis, tinkering with my website, scheduling meet-ups with other investors/real estate professionals, studying for my Real Estate Licensing exam, setting up LLC, learning from books/podcasts, searching the internet for legitimate resourceful tools, and other stuff I'm sure you well aware of. No excuses of course!

I jumped into this by buying up products that had "invest with little to no money" slogans, without doing much research into it.  After spending x amount of $$$ on that, I started to read posts from BP members who had their opinions about wholesalers and how shady some if not most of them are/were.  I am not deterred by the actions of those individuals and will not go down that path.  Okay, I am abruptly going to end this because when I'm tired I begin typing randomly and this post can go on forever.  HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!  

The best advice I have ever heard is 5-part. 1) Pick a marketing method and follow it to a T. Measure it for ROI. Adapt and then prove. 2) Get your contact info in order with some kind of online presence. 3) Get a box of 250 count business cards and give them away as fast as you can 1 at a time. And then repeat. 4) Don't be afraid of the word "No" or naysayers. 5) Find your niche - which may change as you help more and more people.

I am in Vancouver and I am buying/ wholesaling 6-8 houses a month. Best advice I have is just get out in the trenches and find some houses. If you need help and want to run any deals by me you can as I have helped a few new guys in this area. Deals are abundant just gotta dig. 

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I've already added the next few meetings into my calendar and am looking forward to meeting local pros.  Some people are just braver than others. lol 

@Elliot Smith , I'm jealous.  6-8 deals a month here in Vancouver?! That's insane! I feel like I am doing everything that needs to be done to get the leads.  I know for now, I just have to keep sending my DM out and wait for the calls. 

Originally posted by @Motu Lemafa :

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I've already added the next few meetings into my calendar and am looking forward to meeting local pros.  Some people are just braver than others. lol 

@Elliot Smith, I'm jealous.  6-8 deals a month here in Vancouver?! That's insane! I feel like I am doing everything that needs to be done to get the leads.  I know for now, I just have to keep sending my DM out and wait for the calls. 

Key mistake that needs to change "Wait for calls" why would you wait around. Do lead gen.

Best of luck.

There is a NW REIA group in Vancouver that meets monthly at the around Table pizza on Hazel Dell. It's a good group.

What day and time do they meet? Is it the Round Table by Van Mall!?!

Hi Checking in with you, did you ever find a real estate investing group in Vancouver, WA.

I'm looking for one.

I'm also looking to meet up with a group in Vancouver,  please forward any information

NWREIA NE Metro (Vancouver) Meeting

with... Carl Royer

4th Monday of each month, 6:30pm - 8:30pm, at Round Table Pizza, 616 NE 81st Street, Vancouver, WA 98665

Monday, November 28, 2016

Round Table Pizza 616 NE 81st Street Vancouver, WA

@Motu

I'm also in the Vancouver area and getting started in REI. I would be interested in meeting you for a cup of coffee or something and we can talk and possibly help/encourage each other on this journey.

There is a networking event at Ghost Runners Brewery on Monday May 22nd.  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/437915-vancouver-wa-investor-networking-meet-up

There is a REIA group every Tuesday at noon at Gobi Mongolian Grill on Mill Plain. It alternates weeks between commercial and residential. The name of the group is "Real Estate Vancouve Investor's Network" (REVIN).

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here