Milwaukee Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes

Question on Lease Agreements in WI

Posted Oct 29 2021, 12:29

Hey all,

Just closed on my first place in MKE (newbie here). I was reading through the WI Landlord-Tenant guidelines and saw this (ATCP 134.04(1)) "The landlord must identify an owner of the premises or a person authorized to accept legal papers on behalf of the owner. The rule requires that this address (not a PO Box) be located in the state of Wisconsin."

So I am technically, an out of state investor, but only live 75 minutes away from the property (across the IL border), so I am planning to self manage. From the above, I am interpreting that I need to either put on the lease or provide a physical address in WI where the tenant could send me something by mail. Anyone have a similar situation and what did you do? How do out of state investors usually handle this who don't have a PM?

I do have family in WI, but I am trying to avoid sharing their address with my tenants and I am not sure my family wants that either.

Thanks!

John Matarazzo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

User Stats

Votes
Corina Eufinger
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Replied Nov 1 2021, 13:31

@John Matarazzo A registered agent is used by those...who take the time to care.  Which you should because if you don't have that filled out correctly and the lease winds up in court it can cause issues for you.  Registered agents are usually rather inexpensive.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 2 2021, 08:31

Thank you @Corina Eufinger, I just registered with one.