Markets Near Madison, Wisconsin

8 Replies

Hey BP, 

I will be moving out to Madison in a few weeks and want to start investing, but from my research so far it seems like Madison is not a great market due to high property prices and modest rents. Does anyone have any suggestions for nearby investor-friendly markets? I have done some research into a few areas south of Madison (Janesville, Beloit, Edgarton), but the stagnant population and low industry growth make me nervous. Am I overthinking/have people had success investing in those areas?  Thanks!  

I invest in the Beloit/Janesville are and low property prices with high renting population makes it a good area if your looking to invest in rentals. Only thing I recommend is staying in the good areas because it may be tough in the lower end areas. Let me know if you have any other questions on Beloit. If interested we do a meet up monthly when possible at the Great Dane in Fitchburg. Not positive when the next will be but I can let you know if interested. 

Thanks Shawn, I looked at those areas at your suggestion on my other post which has been very helpful. I'm going to try to spend some time researching a few more of the smaller towns in that area and then compare them all when I'm done, but Janesville/Beloit definitely seem like they will be the best options. What do you consider the good areas in Beloit? And yeah that would be awesome if you could let me know when the next meetup is. 

From my experience marketing and working out there, I think Janesville & Beloit are good areas. Madison is extremely difficult. 

I also know of a few lifelong investors in the smaller communities just south of Madison such as Stoughton and Oregon, which are neighbors to Edgerton. Still renters in small communities. Verona is also a good opportunity. Epic employees scatter about the area. 

Thanks for the advice! I actually work at Epic myself and I'm sure there's no shortage of renters in that area of Verona, the only problem seems to be that there's not much up for sale over there. At least not that fit my price range and other numbers anyway. The more I look around here and learn about it, the more attractive the southern towns are looking. 

Originally posted by @Shawn West :

I invest in the Beloit/Janesville are and low property prices with high renting population makes it a good area if your looking to invest in rentals. Only thing I recommend is staying in the good areas because it may be tough in the lower end areas. Let me know if you have any other questions on Beloit. If interested we do a meet up monthly when possible at the Great Dane in Fitchburg. Not positive when the next will be but I can let you know if interested. 

@Shawn, I live in Beloit and have been considering buying rental properties in the area but I still don't have a good grasp of the rental market.  I would love to connect to get your thoughts. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here