Ottawa canada Investors!

5 Replies

Well, I'm an ex-US investor who recently sold 2 properties and moved to Toronto, and now I am looking for my next investments. I am considering Ottawa as I am looking for decent cash flow from a rental property to buy and hold and am not happy with what I've been seeing here in Toronto. I'm curios, why are you looking to invest in the US rather than locally in Ottawa?

Hi Mathieu, I'm from Ottawa and I own a bit of rental property in the NY market, feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss. I am also a cross border tax accountant if you have any tax questions that you need answered.

Thanks

Hi Kate,  sorry about the delay. In the US I'm able to turn my money at a much quicker rate. We love adding value to land. My last deal I just did we put 150K USD in June 2017 and pulling out about 220k USD in October That's not bad. If you want we can chat over the phone.

Cheers! :)

Hi Kate,

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a property that cashflows nicely, it's unlikely you will find much here in Canada as most major markets in this country have a cap rate of under 2. If you are looking for an income stream you can certainly find a 10 cap in the US.

If you are looking to speculate and hope prices keep rising, certainly Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are decent cities, but prices and cost of entry are high. Ottawa is not a bad city as we have not seen the type of house increases that the major markets are currently experiencing, but the property will still likely break even at best on a cash flow basis.

Not sure why you are interested in purchasing here in Canada when most people are retiring and migrating south, you can certainly find cheaper properties that will cash flow nicely in Florida, Georgia, or the Carolinas. 

While the properties are cheaper and typically safer in the US, the tax advantages, and lending standards can be a bit more favourable in the US than they are here in Canada.

Let me know if you want to discuss, I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Originally posted by @Elliott Milek :

Hi Kate,

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a property that cashflows nicely, it's unlikely you will find much here in Canada as most major markets in this country have a cap rate of under 2. If you are looking for an income stream you can certainly find a 10 cap in the US.

If you are looking to speculate and hope prices keep rising, certainly Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are decent cities, but prices and cost of entry are high. Ottawa is not a bad city as we have not seen the type of house increases that the major markets are currently experiencing, but the property will still likely break even at best on a cash flow basis.

Not sure why you are interested in purchasing here in Canada when most people are retiring and migrating south, you can certainly find cheaper properties that will cash flow nicely in Florida, Georgia, or the Carolinas. 

While the properties are cheaper and typically safer in the US, the tax advantages, and lending standards can be a bit more favourable in the US than they are here in Canada.

Let me know if you want to discuss, I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Actually, not completely true. Check out my profile, and it might give you a different perspective of Montreal. I've also just recently expanded my portfolio this past summer! :) 

Toronto and Vancouver may no longer be investable cities for most, but I still feel Ottawa & Montreal to be great markets.