• Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
5 best books to inspire & build great habits as a RE investor

Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Posted Jun 21 2022, 09:14

I was recently asked what my 5 favorite books were for inspiration and building great habits as a real estate investor. Would appreciate anyone else adding to this list, I'm always looking for ways to be more productive!

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

Ever thought about quitting your 9-5 to become a full-time real estate investor? This is the book that inspired me to walk away from my job as a TV news cameraman back in 2002 to start a house flipping business. There isn’t much step-by-step strategy provided, but you’ll learn how to think and act like a real estate investor and business owner.

The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

Are you consistently inconsistent? In other words, do you have a sincere desire to start real estate investing, or scale your current business, but are constantly veering off-course because life keeps getting in the way? Me too. In this book you’ll learn the importance of making small, daily decisions that will, over time, result in exponential growth in your personal and financial life.

Atomic Habits by James Clear

Do you make financial goals for your real estate business? Maybe it’s a certain number of houses you want to flip a year? Or perhaps you have a passive income figure you want to reach? In James Clear’s book he writes that having goals are great, but what you should really be focused on are systems. He says that “goals are good for setting a direction, but systems are best for making progress.” In the book he provides steps for breaking bad habits, creating new ones and systematizing your business.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Do you consider yourself to be a good listener? If you’re going to be a successful real estate investor you’ll often have to play the role of a therapist, teacher, negotiator and counselor. I realized a long time ago that I talk way too much, which is never good when you’re trying to close a deal. In this book I learned why it’s so important to ask good questions and then shut my mouth. It’s helped me with negotiating with home sellers and in my marriage.

The Science of Influence by Kevin Hogan

How do you feel about being a salesperson and influencer? Because if you’re going to be a real estate investor you must have basic sales and marketing skills. You’ll need them to raise capital, negotiate with buyers and sellers and even to lease your properties if you’re a landlord. In Kevin Hogan’s book you’ll discover how people think and make their decisions. He writes “once we know our prospects’ needs, wants, and desires are, we can use this information to prepare a message that firmly impresses on the mind how we can help them”.

Loading replies...