Should I read scam related authors?

10 Replies

I used to read Robert kiosk is books and program but... I dug up some info I did not know before. And. I'm tired of reading and learning from these type of authors/mentors.

1. I'm new to real estate. I don't know f the authors are just selling dreams or are in touch with reality.

2. I recently got a wake up call of year life and real debts. To be exact student loan. I don't want any author that can persuade me to the wrong path

Can someone pleases he'd some light. I'm recently reading a book from Peter Conti and David Finkel.(a book bigger pockets suggested reading). But as I said I'm. It sure if I should trust scam "gurus".

Thanks in advance

Disclosure: I'm the same person.

Typos*

Robert kyosaki*

Don't know if*

Wake up call of real life*

Please shed some light*

@Juan soto There is nothing wrong with reading books by the "gurus". If nothing else, they keep you dreaming big. Having a big dream is really good for keeping you on track of your goals.

When reading books by gurus, look for little bits of information that you can apply to your investment strategies without falling too in love with what they are teaching. Many gurus teach information that is outdated, only works in theory, or is possibly even illegal.

I once had a "guru" try to show me how to flip a heavily leveraged commercial property, but the technique he was teaching could easily be seen as defrauding to the original lending institution.

For great recommendations on books to read, listen to the biggerpockets podcast. At the end of every interview, they ask the participant about their favorite investing books. Many of the books suggested are very good reads!

I hope this helps!

-Joel

thank you very much on your response Joel. I literally haven't begun investing yet. I'm moving very soon to Florida and plan on going to the investment clubs. Really excited about that. Trying to first feta mentor to help me on the way.

I don't know about his other books, but that Maui Millionaires book was complete crap. I got it free, about all it was worth, at a REIA and got about 50 pages into before I threw it in the recycle bin.

I'm become a huge fan of the Gary Keller books. I also like John Schaub's Building Wealth One House at a Time and Dr. David Schumacher's Buy and Hold.

@Aaron Mazzrillo

Thanks for your answer il be looking into those authors. Im looking into a more realistic view of real state investing. I'm tired of the exaggerated view of financial freedom a lot of books seem to promote.

@Juan Soto

Reading the gurus is a waste of time. There is so much valuable information in the BP world that is generated from first hand experiences. Real estate is sensitive to location and time. What might have worked for some years along the California coast cannot be extrapolated to the whole country. Find out what works now in the market you want to invest in. I am sure you will meet a likewise investor here.

thank so much for your quick and honest responses. I'm moving soon to Florida, the first thing i plan on doing is registering to CFRI . I just learned of this website and I must say it is very interesting and resourceful.

@Juan Soto ,

To make the @ work, do the following:
Hold down the shift key and type @?
Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
Raymond

Originally posted by @Juan Soto :
I used to read Robert kiosk is books and program but... I dug up some info I did not know before. And. I'm tired of reading and learning from these type of authors/mentors.

1. I'm new to real estate. I don't know f the authors are just selling dreams or are in touch with reality.

2. I recently got a wake up call of year life and real debts. To be exact student loan. I don't want any author that can persuade me to the wrong path

Can someone pleases he'd some light. I'm recently reading a book from Peter Conti and David Finkel.(a book bigger pockets suggested reading). But as I said I'm. It sure if I should trust scam "gurus".

Thanks in advance

Rich Dad, Poor Dad was the first book I read which changed the way I thought about investing and passive income.

I also recently found out that "Rich Dad" does not even exist lol

I still thinks its a must read for all rookies looking at becoming financially free.

Thanks and have a great day.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here