• Certified Public Accountant
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Learning Annex w/ Trump

Michael Rogers
  • Certified Public Accountant
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:46

A couple of years ago, I saw a billboard w/ Donald Trump promoting the Learning Annex in Atlanta, Georgia. This was at the height of the Apprentice and I thought it would be a good way to see "The Donald" and Robert Kiyosaki in person.

After my dad and I purchased our tickets separately for a couple hundred dollars, we were each sent a package with a couple extra tickets enclosed. I thought this was a little strange since the tickets were about $100 each, that they would accidentally enclose extra. What was really a coincidence was that my dad got extra tickets when his package arrived the next day. A day or two later we each got a pre-recorded phone call from the Learning Annex saying they had accidentally included the tickets, but since it was an honest mistake go ahead an bring a couple friends for free. (This is when I started to get a feeling this wasn't going to a learning seminar, but a "hold onto your wallet" marketing free for all.)

Anyway, dad and I still wanted to see Trump so we started looking through the itinerary to determine what time on the weekend he would be speaking. We live 2 hours from Atlanta and were going to drive down that day and see him speak and not go to both days of the seminar. My dad called the Learning Annex to get the time and day of his speech. This is when the "Bologna" got real good. They informed us due to security reasons, they could not disclose when the main speakers would be speaking over the weekend. Not even, which day. WTF! These guys have some serious brass to use that line. Can you imagine if you bought Super Bowl tickets and they told you the game would be played somewhere during a 48 hour time period over a weekend in January. There would be a public outcry.

My opinion as to why the did this was to make people show up and sit through all the extra high pressure sales gurus. I would guess the Learning Annex gets some sort of commission off sales and they knew no one would want to listen a "no name" sale his product.

After this incident, we decided this was probably not a learning event, but a marketing event and therefore did not go the actual event. I am interested if anyone has been to these events and had a similar experience.

Loading replies...