READ THIS POST BEFORE READING OR POSTING ARTICLES IN THE FORUM

20 Replies

WARNING: When reading the Guru Review threads, take note that in many cases, the gurus will send their friends to shill on their behalf. These people are typically easy to pick out, as they usually have only a handful of posts, all of which are used to defend the guru. They never participate elsewhere on the forum, and rarely are capable of detailing how the person/material in question helped them in a deal, as the often have never done a deal.

Please be aware that this happens here and on every other website. While we do our best to call these folks out here, sometimes we miss them.

There are many of these "experts" who are quite capable, but we wanted to make you aware of these unscrupulous techniques.

In some occasions, we've busted the gurus themselves pretending to be someone else, hyping up their courses.

BE AWARE, BE SKEPTICAL, BE CAREFUL

GURU RINGS
I also wanted everyone to be aware that many of the real estate gurus work together to promote one another. This is a common tactic used for the benefit of all of them.

Before taking the word of one guru about another, be certain that they are not working together for the benefit of one another. Be sure they can vouch for the other "expert" because they have taken a course, seminar, etc from that person, not just because they hang together.

The real estate education business is BIG business, and these guys are pros at selling you! If you know what to look out for, you can make a more informed decision about who to spend your time/money with, and who to trust.

Note to the Gurus:
Impersonating someone or creating a fake account to pump your own material is grounds for removal from the site. Additionally, we will call you out to our community and all of our readers.

Additionally, please do not email or PM us requesting we remove a thread because it is critical of your seminars, courses, or other materials. That is part of the game. If you put yourself out there, people are going to critique you.

We encourage you to jump in and participate, and to engage in a dialogue with our members.

Here's a great article that might help you determine when and how to respond to reviews of you or your material here and elsewhere:
How Companies Should Respond To Negative Reviews

Note to posters:
We certainly encourage you to honestly review any guru, seminar, course, etc., however, please note that you and you are responsible for your words. You are certainly welcome to your opinions - positive and negative - but you are not welcome to libel anyone, to lie, or to make false allegations. BiggerPockets is not responsible for your posts - you are!

Thanks to everyone for the understanding.

Does anyone know who this Joshua Dorkin guy is? I hear he has a website with some real estate information and stuff...any reviews?

Originally posted by J Scott:
Does anyone know who this Joshua Dorkin guy is? I hear he has a website with some real estate information and stuff...any reviews?

I have been to his website and have made eleventy billion dollars just this week...the best part is no money down, you dont have to work, and you dont need to know anything...amazing! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by @J Scott:

I wanna report this guy as a shill. I know he and this Joshua Dorkin guy worked together on a book deal and made Eleventy Billion. 

@Joshua Dorkin  Hi Josh. Thanks for this post!  One of the reasons I decided to participate on this site is because of the parameters set up and actually enforced.  This community is excellent for any person seeking to learn more about real estate investment and also to find people and products that can help an individual's business. 

It would be great to hear more recommendations from the community at large about their actual experiences with some of the services used from BP vendors. I respond to posts and read a lot more than I write. I have noticed patterns of recommendations that point to the same vendors continuously. I find those a bit unbelievable simply because there are no other recommendations with which to compare. 

Please keep up the diligence of maintaining this site as a place investors can rely upon for valuable information, services and opportunities. 

Disclosure: I own BiggerPockets

@Victoria Winters  - We require anyone replying to a thread that recommends a product or service to disclose a relationship.  Failure to do so violates both our rules and the law.  Violators can be heavily fined by the FTC.  If we learn that someone is shilling, we immediately close their accounts.

I'd take care to note that most people who jump on a review thread and post there and only there (they have not other posts on the site) are not likely very credible.  Furthermore, those people who do nothing but post positive reviews about a single product or service or guru (users come and just plug any thread that pops up on topic x) are also FAR from credible in my book.

The reviews I tend to trust come from those people who are established and active members of the community who have established some level of trust from within the community.  I hope that helps.

Originally posted by @Victoria Winters:
It would be great to hear more recommendations from the community at large about their actual experiences with some of the services used from BP vendors. I respond to posts and read a lot more than I write. I have noticed patterns of recommendations that point to the same vendors continuously. I find those a bit unbelievable simply because there are no other recommendations with which to compare. 

Hey Victoria,

If there are specific vendors or services you're curious about, feel free to start a thread asking about those vendors or services -- you'll likely find that people are very open to sharing their experiences (good and bad).  Also, if you use the search bar above and type in the vendor or service you're trying to get feedback on, it's very likely that there are older threads that have already been started.

Disclosure: I have no business relationship with the two gurus mentoned or with Brand Turner and no one on BP pays me anything! :)

Edited 5 years ago? Seems I've seen that before.

It could be possible to make Eleventy Billion Dollars, start out with One Hundred Eleventy Billion, that's ease to do. Take that money, go buy any house, send me the rest and you'll get Eleventy Billion a year for eleventy years, guaranteed!

The number of posts is one of the first things I look at.

Rest assured, you'll hear all kinds of stuff here, it's up to you in the end to sort it all out before you go try something.

This post has been removed.

Thanks Josh. I have taken training from two different 'gurus' and considered them both credible but your post caused me to pause. These days we won't buy anything without doing our online research to check reviews but how can we trust what we are reading?

I always appreciate your risk-averse approach because I know you are just trying to keep us out of bad deals. Even in BP we need to take what we read with a view of scepticism. Great advice!

I currently decided to check out some Real Estate Investing Programs.  Such "NAMES" as Christine and Terek from "Flip or Flop". Josh Cantwells, $40K Fli[p Program, and Lee Arnold Program and a couple other smaller names.  Yes, I've been busy but wanted to check on my skill level and do my DUE DILIGENCE.  I found all to be pushy, EXPENSIVE, and each program seemed to be an "Infomercial" for the next level.  This is my opinion, DON"T go to the "FREE" lunches.  It most likely will cost you thousands.  Some even subtly shame people that aren't "taking Action".  I believe in coaching, but the programs seemed more marketing than coaching.  They may be for you, check e

'em out but remember what Tony Robbins says:  Often times when a person with some money meets a person with experience, they can QUICKLY change places!!!  Hope this helps!!!!!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here