• Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Special Needs Housing?

David Puza
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jun 29 2009, 01:27

If anyone has worked with Nick Sidoti and had success with Special needs housing I would like to speak with you. The concept is a good one although I'm doubtful one can expect to triple their returns. I'm willing to compensate you for your time.

User Stats

Votes
Richelle T.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 7 2014, 19:10

@Al Williamson 

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't get you to tag in my last post for some reason.

Great idea with leasing to grad students. I actually just finished grad school so that niche would be a good fit. I love the creativity. Let's keep in touch with what progress we are able to make. I'm still trying to connect with the other VoA programs at the moment.

Richelle

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Aug 8 2014, 16:45

It goes much deeper than that in servicing a special needs group. The money to pay rents will usually be there, you need to underwrite the supporting agency. Search "profit with non-profits". Good luck ;) 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Richelle T.
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 9 2014, 04:58

@Bill Gulley I have connected with the veterans and families first program offered by Volunteers of America. The set up seems really simple. No special inspection, lease review or anything. For a house that rents for $750/mo, I will get $475/bedroom by including utilities and lawn service. That is for their single men veterans portion of the program. I chatted with the housing coordinator and she generated an ad to send to the case managers then and there.

User Stats

Votes
Al Williamson
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Sep 18 2014, 16:05

@Richelle T. 

Ok, here's an update for you Sis. I've pulled it off and here's a tip. Special needs doesn't necessarily mean people with disabilities. It includes busy people that need flexible rental terms as well.

Now that I've broaden my definition of "special needs" I can see a lot more opportunities. I'm nearly able to double my income by renting rooms to short term renters that are affiliated with our local teaching hospital. I make everything all inclusive, plug and play with the goal of creating a housing kiosk - or self-serve housing.

I'm going to go into detail on my home blog, but I wanted to spill the beans with you.

Hope that helps you some.

User Stats

Votes
Richelle T.
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 19 2014, 21:54

@Al Williamson 

That's excellent news!! I can't wait to read about it on your blog. I'm leaning towards looking for an institutional tenant but we have to diversify. Congrats!

User Stats

Votes
Clary C.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Attleboro, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Attleboro, MA
Replied Mar 6 2015, 14:13

I just purchased Nick's special needs housing Course and I will keep everyone updated in regards to my results.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Curtis
  • Desoto, TX
Votes |
  • Desoto, TX
Replied May 16 2015, 14:14
 @Richelle T.

@Al Williamson 

Hello guys I'm new to bigger pockets and have a property that I want to use for special needs housing. I'm in Dallas, TX but the property is located in Memphis, TN so will also include @Sonja Bell. What is you guys experience with this particular niche? Is there a lot of maintenance required or hoops to jump through? Also is it possible to make it turn-key since I am out of state? Thanks in advance for your responses!

User Stats

Votes
Richelle T.
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 17 2015, 06:12

@Darrell Curtis

I have yet to actually rent a place to a NP. I met with a few NP directors and told everyone I know what I'm trying to do. So far, i haven't found one that wants to lease the property and take responsibility for placing the tenant - essentially doing a NNN lease on a house, which is what I want. Sounds like that's what you're looking for as well. I have found agencies that are looking for really low rent housing ($450-550/mo) and at best they would pay the security deposit and a few months rent for the person. I have/had little to no motivation to do this because I don't invest in areas where that price point would make sense. No do I want to take on the risk of renting to someone without a track record of performing. The one NP I found that was marginally willing to explore the NNN lease wanted Class A- property and wanted to pay Class B- rent. Still no deal. I would say it's possible, but I have yet to successfully execute.

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Curtis
  • Desoto, TX
Votes |
  • Desoto, TX
Replied May 18 2015, 13:26
 @Sonja Bell:

I just got involved in special needs housing about 2 years ago. I haven't heard about Sidoti's program but I've heard of other programs that provide online membership access to housing grants. Unfortunately, you have to pay for additional assistance. Waste of time and money.

Hey Sonja I was wondering how is the special needs housing going for you in Memphis, TN? I was born there but I live in Dallas, TX now. My family has a rental property in that market and we are about to have a vacancy :-D Just seeking advice from an expert investor in that market such as yourself. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
David S.
  • Investor
  • Treasure Coast, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Treasure Coast, FL
Replied May 22 2015, 17:51

Hi Everyone, 

I would just like to get some feed back on Nick Sidoti. I just viewed his webinar and it sounds great. For anyone that has used his program. 

Is anyone making those big checks and how hard is it to get the government to pay for the tenant's ( Special Need's) rent? I would like to do this with the VA since I am a vet and would like to help my fellow vet out.

I know not everyone has used his program but any luck with his strategy and getting intouch with those agencies. Thanks

@Sonja Bell,@Michael Lauther,@Clary C.

@Al Williamson,

@Richelle T.

User Stats

Votes
Al Williamson
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied May 22 2015, 21:52

@david s. I think Nick's stuff is solid. I use a privatized version with medical students. Rent rooms.

The concepts of renting by the slice is a money maker.

User Stats

Votes
Chantelle Zapata
  • Investor
  • Waco, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Waco, TX
Replied Jul 22 2015, 08:05

So how does a 4 bedroom selling for 90 k sound if its being used as a special needs home? How much could i charge per room?  The other homes sold in this neighborhood were around $270,000 and more. I have to call to see what might be wrong with the property.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Williams
  • Oxford, OH
Votes |
  • Oxford, OH
Replied Aug 3 2016, 14:21

Wow...on Mr. Sidoti's program.  I just listened to it today.  Couldn't afford it anyway, but decided to research how what he claimed could actually be.  And I am so glad to be a part of Bigger Pockets forum because the information I receive here is helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Payne
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Clifton, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Clifton, TX
Replied Feb 22 2017, 13:23

Just did a webinar for this system.  I know this thread is old, but are there any updates from people who have used this?

User Stats

Votes
Tony Hunt
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Feb 28 2017, 20:16

ok