Votes
Daniel Trang
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Beginning the Journey... Broke

Daniel Trang
  • Eugene, OR
Posted May 20 2017, 20:20

I began studying real estate deals, courses, and concepts about a month or two ago and have soaked up the free information on BP and even started using BP calculators to analyze deals in my local area. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm not afraid of failure.

A great rental property presented itself and I went to check it out with an agent. It was a duplex in a hot neighborhood with already existing tenant in one side with good track record. It was perfect since I was looking to move into a property and utilize an FHA loan. I called a local mortgage broker for their loan rates then I ran the numbers and even made a 10% increase on expenses just to be safe. The rent was not only going to cover the loan interest rate + mortgage, it was going to cashflow $150.

I'm a college student, I don't have a 9-5 job, no credit, no debt, I knew I could pull this off if I could show the raw numbers. I made a complete presentation for my parents, my uncles, my aunts, anyone in my family I knew had the financial capabilities to made the deal work. The first thing they said after I explained all the numbers was, "You need to focus on your studies and finish college first." Then they proceeded to watch Netflix after dinner. That whole night till morning, I kept watching the property, re-calculating hoping to see if the numbers were wrong, and then it sold the next day. This not only frustrated me, it made me want to drop my scholarships and pursue real estate and show them it's not about a degree, it's about one's drive and ability to get back on the bull's back. It's about making things happen.

This is my burning question... How can I start working NOW towards that first investment deal if I have no credit, no job, no capital, nothing to my name except a couple college credits and this laptop I'm typing on... Do I really need to pick up a 9-5 job and start saving capital? If I co-sign with a lender can I really afford their high interest rates? I'm not looking for a quick solutions... I'm looking for real answers.

Loading replies...