Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Robert Allen

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 11:00

Hey again. Iwanted to find out about the real estate guru Robert Allen. I haven't read One Minute Millionaire because I'm just starting out. I just know about Allen because I've heard his name mentioned on TV and online.

Does he have a good course worth buying? Can anyone tell me more about him?

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Maiko Miyake
  • Homeowner
  • Takoma Park, MD
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Takoma Park, MD
Replied Dec 6 2006, 19:18

Have you checked out Ripoff Report website for the experience of other customers? it is not only about Robert Allen, but for other so called real estate gurus and their products, the same can be said. I would like to think that for every course material on offer, there is something to be learnt, as long as one keeps open minded and not expecting "get rick quick" formula, but what others have to say about these informacials are also useful to get a sense of what I am getting into.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 19 2006, 12:12

His books are good, but I don't know if I would spend the money for a seminar.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 14 2007, 11:22

Allen is motivating and good, but you can read his book and do his system and be successful. I understand that if you have one-on-one training using his system though, you will find it easier to stick with the program and be succesful.
rochelle

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 15 2007, 10:25

The seminars are too expensive , I would suggest reading as many books posisble , his and others. although I did like his book , multiple streams of income.

dont spend thousands on a seminar , use that money for a down payment on a deal!!!

the get rich quick is la ie , real estate is a long term , strategic endeavor.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Sulecki
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millsboro, DE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millsboro, DE
Replied Feb 25 2007, 06:29

I have a "creating wealth with real estate" audio bootcamp of his, if anyone wants it. Its about 14 hours total, and is 31 audio files that are in order. Its one of his live bootcamps. I dont have the contracts he uses, but he gives out some pretty good info.

Ill send it over aol im or googletalk, and its 500+MB

If you wanted to send me a few bucks for it through paypal, I wouldnt say no.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Sulecki
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millsboro, DE
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millsboro, DE
Replied Mar 10 2007, 07:46

To the people I sent the books to, you're welcome..

User Stats

Votes
Gary M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • leawood, KS
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • leawood, KS
Replied Nov 30 2007, 04:35

A friend told about this book. He mentioned that it advocated a strategy of buying 2 houses a year for 10 years. Then selling 10 at the end making the remaining units paid for. Is this legit? Wouldn't the taxes from the sales make it unprofitable? It sounds like a doable plan, but is it for real?

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |

I disagree with some of the comments on here about seminars being a waste of time and money.

It is my opinion that different people process information in different ways. If you are an audio/visual person a seminar will be far more useful to you than reading a book.

I joined Robert Allen's EWI organization (Enlightened Wealth Institute) and have never looked back

Yes I paid money for his courses. $5000 for the first one. I honestly believe it was the best money I ever spent. Of course I felt sick afterwards asking myself "Did I do the right thing? "Is this a rip off?

I have made my money back and them some! Although I know that I could have done it WITHOUT the seminar, I believe it would have taken me much longer. I have met so many "so called" real estate investors that are just talk. They might have been investing for 10 years, but have only done a handful of deals.

The most effective thing, in my mind about paying money for courses/seminars is that I HAD to hold myself accountable. I spent $5000 of my hard earned money, so I made sure I worked my backside off to get that money back.

I sincerely believe that most people fail at real estate because they give up too soon. (Not jut real estate but everything)

If this is what you really want to do STICK AT IT. Find a organization that you identify with (Robert Allen, Robert Kyosaki, T Harv Ecker) and DO EXACTLY WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO! IT WORKS

Also VERY important find a mentor (It might take a while, but you will find someone) build a team and go for it!

I hope this helps

P.S Try to listen to the people that encourage and motivate.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Chung
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 24 2008, 02:30

My opinion is that Allen as well as all gurus give good fundamental information, and yet, at the same time they must be missing something quite integral about the whole process that prevents others from becoming interested/ successful.

My main complaint about Allen is that his strategy of No Money Down is not necessarily a long term wealth building strategy but a short term "money fix" approach.

All his methods work tho, it simply is a question of style.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Gonzalez
  • Realtor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Mar 1 2008, 05:29

Total upsell program! Any real estate "gurus" you will find some sort of upselling program to their coaching programs and more of their education. They never give you all the info up front....been there, done that!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Collins
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Riverdale, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Riverdale, GA
Replied Mar 9 2008, 00:32

I heard his program was a total scam, people were getting ripped off, I forgot what website I read it on, but you can always go on scam.com or type in Robert Allen Scam on google.

User Stats

Votes
Bob McIntosh
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hoboken, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hoboken, NJ
Replied Mar 18 2008, 20:13

I have purchased a few of his books, while they are generally "ok" they do advocate the "get rick quick" idea. There seems to be little knowledge in them that is truly useful, however if you are looking for motivation to get into real estate then I suggest you read any of his books.

As for his class, I can't say exactly. He wanted $9000 for the enlightened wealth institute membership, whose goal was to have you living off the money from your real estate investments within 1 year. While this is a lofty goal, it could be achieved, and maybe the $9000 is worth it. I didn't pay for it, and based on a lot of what I have read, my $9000 would be the first piece, which can only truly be completed by purchasing the second piece for another $5000, which can only be completed by the third piece, ect..

In fact he even advocates that practice in at least one of his books.

Overall I would have to say:

:protest:

User Stats

Votes
Dale Osborn
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Votes |
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Replied Jun 4 2010, 14:09

Those that can - do!
Those that can't - sell books and tapes!
Rich Dad mentor - $8-9K!
Trump mentor - 8-9K!
Local no name investors at real estate club mentor - only $24K for 2 years.

Are these "gurus" interested in making money from real estate or making money from multiple streams of income from suckers that can't see the string attached to the carrot in front of them!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Kronowit
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jun 4 2010, 14:43
Originally posted by mimoca32:
His books are good, but I don't know if I would spend the money for a seminar.

Second what mimoca said. I read "Creating Wealth" several years ago and although it doesn't "hold your hand" through the RE investing process, at least it helps put your mind on the right track. Around 2003, I recommended the book to a friend of mine and within a year, she had two rental properties under her belt.

I'll save my $5,000 "seminar" money for purchasing actual real estate, thank you very much. :wink:

User Stats

Votes
Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Replied Jun 4 2010, 19:53

This is a re-post of about 3 months ago. It offers a little more personal info on Robert in the early days from my interaction with him. Rich

Posted: 03/12/2010 at 08:59AM 3 votes

The following users voted for this post: workerdrone, Ali Samana, Steve Babiak
I'm the old guy on here and have some more info.
1. I think Nickersons' 1st book was "How I made ONE million" then the later book.

2. Robert Allen- now this is an amazing one!! Over 25 years ago, My wife and I retired and moved to Oregon. Almost drowned and moved to Provo, Utah. We bought a home high on the hill, one street from Osmond Lane.(yes, those Osmonds!) Robert lived on the same street. We attended the same religious affiliation and had LOTS of discussions on religion and soon, real estate. This is where it got fun!!
Robert had written the No Money Down and had been challenges by a television program. I think ABC, They picked a city out of the blue, and sent Robert there to use his no money down. Robert said he would buy 3 properties over the weekend. I think he bought 4. They were all overpriced, high value condos... There was no secret there. The problem would come a month later with the first mortgage pmt!! (and little or no rent!)
I had come from a more conservative background and had done seminars years before Robert ever started. He also bragged about a free and clear home, and foreign sports cars in his garage. I went to the recorders office and found home was NOT free and clear, but actually had 2 mortgages..
My concern was that he would get a lot of people in over their heads with his misrepresentations and faulty program. He went on to do exactly this. Remember, most times the first people into some program(MLMs for example) are neighbors , friends and relatives. I heard from many of them and results were crushing them.
Things went bad and Robert moved out of the area, I think CA and public records show he filed for a bankruptcy soon thereafter.
He re-surfaced with new programs, stocks, multiple income streams etc.
He has found a method with seminars, books, and internet to continue to change gears and sell new programs to new generations.
I liked Robert and we had some fun discussions. I haven't chatted with him for nearly 30 years and only have the experiences I shared with him to base opinions. Rich

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jun 4 2010, 21:36

Hey, you're not the only old guy on here Rich! I will conceed the title of most popular old guy to you, Hands down! LOL

Well, I'm turning over a new leaf, it's been three days without a cigerette, so I'm ready to chew raw meat and spit on the floor.

I'm amazed at all the suckers in this world. Thousands of dollars for crap that you can get for nothing and yet they justify buying it, because if they didn't justify doing so, they would be admitting they had been taken. Everyone wants it right now, the easy way, just tell me what I really need to know to make a million by the end of the year! Gurus will continue their scams and taking people for a ride as long as the "give me now without any effort types" are still out there!

I use to shoot pool, I was pretty good too, winning a car off the table. Part of the game was just talking sh_ _ _! So, I know it when I hear it. There is alot of it spoken on RE sites. Especially by those with something to sell other than real estate.

If you like fiction, by a guru book! If you pay anyone thousands of dollars to "learn real estate" you deserve to get ripped off!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Bukacek
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 4 2010, 23:08

In my experience, I've known many people who join seminars and read books about RE investing. The main reason for failure is lack of action. They take the courses or read the books but never do anything with the knowledge. Then they blame the seminar company and the books they read. There's no cure for lack of action in real estate.

Ask yourself a simple question before investing in education: If you receive information on a subject, will you act upon it?

I have an MBA from U of Phoenix. UOP coursework requires a ton of teamwork, and you may be with the same group of 4 or 5 people throughout the entire program. Of the 5 people in my group, 2 aren't having any real success. Is this the fault of the individuals or the fault of UOP?

I network on a consistent basis with about 40 active investors in the Austin area. The majority of them were educated through an education / seminar company and had success. Very few people that I know just learned through books only. And, in my opinion, you should invest, whether it's a seminar company or a mentorship program. You make a mistake, it can wipe your life savings away.

Also, you'll be amazed at how many opportunities you are missing if you do not understand and recognize multiple strategies. Knowledge pays. Ignorance doesn't.

For me, getting involved in an education company made sense. I've gone to high school, gone to college, received an MBA. I'm used to taking classes to learn. But not everyone has to learn this way. I know this style works for me so I did it. But it may not work for everyone. Others prefer having a mentor tell them what to do every step and giving a high percentage of their deals to the person. Analyze how you learn, and educate yourself in that manner.

Most education companies should take a sale or two to pay back. Therefore, if you plan on a long term investing career, it may be a good investments. For me, it was a smart decision. The big question is which one to use?

I don't sell educational seminars and am not going to be a commercial for one. Not the point of the post. The point of the post is this:

YOU are responsible for your success. Your success will not come from a book or a seminar company, but what you do with the information. Understand how your learn, put yourself in that environment, and take action. The success or failure is 100% on you!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Hancock#4 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Round Rock, TX
Replied Jun 5 2010, 08:33

I couldn't agree with Tom more...A lot of the people that try to get by on the cheap with a few books end up paying a lot more money in the long run because they end up in a bad deal and flush 2X what they would have paid for some decent education.

To each his/her own...An education is an investment like anything else. Do your due diligence on several competing programs and pick the best one for you. Not everyone in the RE education industry is a criminal guru looking to make a quick buck on you.

I have an engineering degree from a top ten program and a MBA in finance and I wouldn't trade the 2 year's worth of RE seminar education I invested in for any of the other degrees. It isn't an expense if you choose the right program....it is an investment in the four inches between your ears.

User Stats

Votes
Tracey Williams
  • Investor
  • Columbus , OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus , OH
Replied Jun 5 2010, 11:55

I agree with Tom 100% (read a book, attend serminars or RE courses) -TAKING ACTION is the key factor.

I have paid for a serminar that was worth the price and for another course that I shouldn't have paid for but I have now learn my lesson.

What I do now is to go get their books first from the Library, if their view is in line with my goal I can then invest in their materials

I met a lady last month at a REIA meeting that has spent over 15k in books & serminars and she is yet too do her first deal!!!

I am learning so much from BP because here we cover very angle of RE.

Thanks again to everybody.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2023, 18:51

Robert Allen has more negative reviews as opposed to positive ones. In 1996 he filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Additionally, he had problems with the IRS regarding taxes and he was sued for non-payment to many of his instructors. One has to question; why Robert Allen who supposedly made millions in real estate filed for bankruptcy. The reason he gives makes no sense.  I believe one can achieve success in real estate with the right information which for the most part can be found online for free or for very little expense. Websites like Bigger Pockets also offer webinars and a lot of information for free. You can also become a Pro member (for a small fee) which offers additional information. Buy Robert Allen's Books but do not get involved with any of his seminars.  Also, remember it take a lot of education, effort and time to become successful in real estate investment.