• New to Real Estate
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
House Hack - Northern Virginia

Samuel Choi
  • New to Real Estate
  • Northern Virginia
Posted Nov 28 2020, 06:12

Hello everyone! New to the BiggerPockets community and nervous/excited to get started! 

I am looking to buy a single family or townhouse in Northern Virginia to house hack and looking for recommendations/advice. What are the best "rent-by-room" markets in NoVa? I've listed some (that I can afford below) for thoughts/feedback:

1. Reston - Near Silver Line metro and Reston Town Center; Companies setting up shop in Reston
  2. Herndon - Upcoming metro (Silver Line); potentially in the "path of progress" once the metro opens
  3. Sterling - Nestled between Reston/Herndon areas and Ashburn; another "path of progress" market that's still affordable

In terms of budget, I've received pre-approval for conventional loan with 5% down payment and would be comfortable in the 400k-550k range. Right now, I think my best option would be to look at 3Bed-2.5Bath homes with a finished basement. That way I can rent out the basement as another unit.

If anyone has any advice for a new real estate investor or just want to connect since you're in the DC area, feel free to connect with me!

Loading replies...