Skip to content
Washington D.C. Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
DC Property Management License Study Group Anyone?

Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Posted May 10 2016, 19:26

Hello everyone! 

I'm currently looking to see if there is anyone out there in Washington, DC (District of Columbia - haha, keyword alert trigger?) or Maryland currently studying for their DC Property Management License.

I am about to schedule my Exam with Pearson Vue sometime this week and I will probably be taking it at the end of this month. I'm just posting this up to see if there is anyone else out there in the BP community that is in the same boat as me and would like to form a study group.

We can do this either in person or we can setup a Google+ Hangout or another free type of Webinar to get on and study together from the comfort of our homes/coffee shops/favorite libraries/etc.

To Collaborative Success,

Dom J Jones

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 14 2021, 23:23

Hello all. 

I have made several attempts to find the study guide but I have been unsuccessful any links or suggestions? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2021, 14:41

I have been looking for the study guide as well and can not locate it. I have even tried to reach out to DCRA but that was no help 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2021, 15:01

@Alexis Jackson I found the link https://www.asisvcs.com/publications/pdf/680931.pdf

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2021, 15:28

It also appears that as of 03/01/21 they changes the rules and you must take classed on the ce shop. A 9 hour class and a 6 hour class. Visit the DC CE Shop 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2021, 11:38

@Alexis Jackson

Have you passed the test? Did you have to take the 9 and 6 hour classes? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 4 2021, 14:44

Has anybody passed the PM test recently ?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 26 2022, 12:31

I have taken the exam twice and I didn't pass by one point each time, so I'm pulling my hair out. I need help finding information related to the questions that are not on the study guide...

1. Owner's name under a rent controlled unit.
2. Situation when corporation does not have to pay rent. 
3. What it means to raze a building. 
4. Corporations must be represented by in tenant landlord court by this person. 
5. Water conservation, sustainability and green living questions.
6. Information on the L'Enfant Trust's Historic. 
7. Where to find out more about commercial management in DC. 

Any information on clues would be helpful! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 20 2022, 15:55

Hi Victoria,

I'm in the same boat, failed a portion of the test by 2 points and researching information on everything that you've listed. Have you found answers to all 7 of your questions? 

I've found information about the green living and L'Enfant Trust which wasn't on the study guide.

If you're looking for a study partner I'm opened to it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 21 2023, 10:32

Victoria, did you find answers to your questions? If yes, please share! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 11 2024, 01:00

Very helpful. 

Took the test today and passed. I’ve been in property management for almost 10 years so I passed the exam on my first try.

45 State Questions

45 General Questions

The study guide along with Quizlet was very helpful. There is a quizlet named obscure DC section which 70% of those questions were on the exam. Very very helpful.

Question format is as follows:

• which of the following most.
  • Which of the following least.
  • Which of the following EXCEPT.

One question about the Lefant trust - so know what this is. 2/3 questions about sustainability and going green. Ex: if an historic building has upgraded washers and dryers to green. Answer was sustainability. Know the year for Human Rights & rent control Act. 2 questions or so regarding lessee, lessor and who’s responsible for a sublet tenant. 3/4 questions regarding gross, net let and what type of lease would a shopping center MOST likely have. % lease. Math equations were only about 6/7. or so questions and mine pretty much asked about capitalized rate. So don’t get wrapped up on the math equations.

Know that Effective Gross is after debt services before after expenses subtracted. Only one question about razed building . Random question regarding if the space next to an apartment is changed to a parking lot. Answer I believe was non-conforming use. 4 or so questions regarding deferred and curative maintenance. Roof leaking what type of repair is this? Hot water temp & heat question during the day question was asked. 5% condo conversion feee. Only 1 zoning question. Carpet replace is what physical obsolesce and outdated bathroom fixture is functional.

Property analysis and market analysis saw this 3 times throughout exam. Market value and listing price know the difference. Which lightbulb saves the most energy- Light Emitting Diode answer.

A lot of the exam is process of elimination if you get stuck. Hope this helps because none of the thread pointed this information out and everything is so long ago. I hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 11 2024, 01:01
This was super helpful too & spot on for the exam. Quote from @Philip Rowe:

I PASSED!!!

Like I said before there are questions on the test that isn't covered in the STUDY GUIDE on the DC Pearson Vue website.  Below are some things to thoroughly cover.  I'll start with things not covered in the Study Guide.

-Know that when a tenant sub-leases the space, that the sub-lessor is only responsible to the tenant.

-The Rental Accommodations Division.  (Although this is covered in the study guide, there are details in the act not covered in the guide).  Know the specifics on what an owner must to to increase or REDUCE services.

-Know the definition of a "Hold-Over" tenant.

-There was a question about the location of Smoke Detectors, which is a part of the Smoke Detector Act that has been repealed, however it is critical to know that for each bedroom there must be at least one smoke detector.

-If an owner is exempt from the Rental Accommodations Division, the HOUSING PROVIDER is only exempt from the rent stabilization portion of the act.

(from study guide)

It is important to know the years each act was implemented.

Know the reasons, regulations, and ways a landlord can increase rent.

Dates for HVAC system tests, turn on/off dates, and temperatures they must maintain.

Hot water must maintain 120 degrees.

A requirement for housing is to have an exterior LOCKING door.

When an owner buys a building they are also buying the lease and must honor the lease.

I would suggest to read the "What you should know about Rent Control in the District of Columbia" link on the DC.gov website as well as the study guide from pearson vue inside and out.  There is also a website called Quizlet that has free study material especially the flashcards that I found to be very helpful.  

Hope this helps anyone in the future.  Good Luck!