Claire Severson
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
Newbie here! Looking to house hack; Arlington to Sterling VA

Claire Severson
  • Arlington, VA
Posted May 17 2017, 08:33

Hello!

I'm Claire. I'm new to real estate and to BP. Nice to meet you all!

My husband and I are looking for a multifamily home to occupy and rent. We currently live in Arlington; I work in Sterling and he works in Tyson's Corner. We'd like to live closer to work but it doesn't matter too much where specifically; our schedules are flexible enough that we usually miss rush hour. So pretty much anywhere in or between Arlington and Sterling.

We're well aware the multifamily homes are hard to come by in this area. We've considered the option of buying a SFH and adding on, or even buying an empty lot/tear-down and constructing a MFH from the ground up. Could anyone advise whether this would be a viable plan/work out financially (obviously it depends on many factors, but as a general idea)?

Here's what else I could use help with:

- Finding a local, investor-friendly realtor.

- What constitutes a "great deal" in this area, and perhaps feedback on specific listings we find.

And here's what I can give back to the community: Obviously I'm new to real estate investing, so I can't offer any help there. But I am an interior designer (I work at a local architecture firm), and I'm willing to help with any interior design or decorating issues/questions you may have! I know that's not the focus of these forums, but I wanted to put it out there.

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...