• Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Quit Claim Deed for Washington, DC

Cynthia Hartley
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Posted Jan 9 2018, 01:56

I purchased a SFH as a rental in my name. After extensive renovation - which will be presented in another post at another time - I got the house rented and now wanted to put the property into an LLC. However, I could not find on the forum posts any guidance on how to do a quit claim deed. After a fair amount of research and phone calls, I figured it out and wanted to post it here in case others might find this information useful. As a disclaimer, I am not a lawyer. I suggest that you have a lawyer review your documents. I am simply providing this information as an account of what steps I took with the hope that it may benefit others.

First, I went to Deeds.com and ordered quit claim documents for Washington, DC. It cost $19.95 and was available immediately for download. You get a bunch of forms for $19.95, but the only ones that were relevant for me were the Quit Claim Deed template, the Quit Claim Deed Instructions, the Quit Claim Deed Sample, and the Recordation and Tax Transfer Form. You may need to use other forms depending on your particular circumstance. Note that there is a section of the Quit Claim Deed template that asks for "book number / page number". This is no longer used by the DC Recorder of Deeds Office. They use a 10 digit document number that is found on your original recorded deed. The 10 digit number begins with the year the you purchased the house. If you don't have a copy of your deed, contact your title company or order one from the DC Recorder of Deeds office.

The Recordation and Tax Transfer Form is also known as  and can be found at https://otr.cfo.dc.gov. Click on Recorder of Deeds. Go to Form Center and click on ROD Tax Forms Page 1. Form FP 7/C is the form I needed. Instructions are provided on how to complete the form, including how to calculate the recordation and tax fees. 

Both the Quit Claim Deed and the Recordation of Tax Transfer Form need to be notarized. The notarized documents can be mailed or delivered in person to 1101 4th St SW 5th Floor Suite 500 West between the hours of 8:30 - 3:00. In addition to the recordation and tax fees, one must also pay a recording fee of $31.50. 

I hope you find this useful.

Loading replies...