• Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
How much is it to hire an attorney for basic eviction in DC

Christopher Grobbel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Posted Sep 15 2019, 20:21

How much does it cost for a landlord/tenant attorney to do a basic eviction in DC for a nonpayment of rent?

I am an attorney in DC and we have a problem tenant.  I have handled our previous two eviction cases all the way up through obtaining the writ of restitution for eviction and scheduling the eviction date. It's a very long process in DC.  Each time before the eviction, the tenant comes up with just enough to avoid the eviction, then the tenant stops paying again, starting the entire process over from the beginning. 

While I can do it myself, I am ready to outsource.  It's a draining process because of how involved it has been and the length of time, it's been well over a year.  The one recommendation I had wanted $325 for a simple consultation. That didn't include any of the actual legal work of eviction. I think that's outrageous because the actual legal work involved in filling out the papers and filing is very nominal. I don't mind filling out the papers and filing, but dealing with the tenant is what's draining. 

Does anyone have any recommendations (happy to move offline via pm if discussion would violate terms of service), and more importantly what's a realistic price to expect to pay? Thanks.