I am still pretty new to the area but I am ready to jump in and start investing in multi-families in the Albany and surrounding areas. Since this is something that is best done with a team of experts that know a lot more than I do I am putting this request with help from the bigger pockets community to get me started on my road to success. What I am looking for is:
1. A Mentor – I am new to the area and hoping to find someone to learn from and help that knows the area well and can guide me in the right direction.
2. Realtor – Someone that understands what an investor is looking for, knows the investing landscape, areas to invest, and is willing/able to show lots of houses before the right purchase is made.
3. Mortgage Broker/ Bank/ Hard Money Lender – Someone that has experience working with other investors. Sometimes needs to be creative to get the deals.
4. Real Estate Attorney
5. Escrow Officer or Title Rep
6. Accountant – Preferably a CPA. Well aware of the ins and outs of real estate and different entities. Knows real estate tax write-offs and how I can best apply them!
7. Insurance Agent
8. Contractor – This is one I really need help from the bigger pockets community in the local area. Your input and experience with a good contractor would be greatly appreciated.
9. Property Manager – This is another one I really need help from the bigger pockets community in the local area. Your input and experience with a great Property Manager would be greatly appreciated.
10. Great Handyman – Someone to take care of the little things that come up on a daily basis.
That's the team I am looking for to start. If you work in any of these fields or you are a landlord and you can recommend some to me, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey @Jason Mergl , congrats on getting started. I am a realtor in the Albany area, our office located right on Western Ave. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message and I'd be more than happy to help you get connected with some of these other essential people as well.
Hi Jason! I have a recommendation for most of these. I’ll message you.
Jason there’s a monthly Albany meet up at the Pump Station and Glens Falls meet up at The Queensbury Hotel.
We had spoke at the Glens Falls meetup. I have some good contacts for these things. Reach out at any time!
Thanks Dylan and Michael. I will be away for about 2 months but will definitely go to the Albany meeting when I get back.
I'm currently looking for mostly all of those same people. You should definitely be able to at least find yourself some solid realtor options via bigger pockets. I've been pre-approved for a bank loan but haven't thought about someone with experience working with investors for deals. I assumed that shopping around for the best interest rate would be good enough. I guess I should ask around some more just in case. Also, good idea about the CPA. I know my personal tax accountant isn't knowledgeable enough for property investment write-offs. April 15th will be here sooner than we all think. Good luck on your Albany adventures!
To everyone else on this post - Hi! I would also love some of your recommendations for these folks. Thank you so much in advance
@Katherine Hong I have a few connections I could share. Let me know if you want to chat about that...or if you just want to connect about real estate in general. I'll send you a PM as well.
@Jamie Brayton would you mind sharing some of your contacts you mentioned? I'm an out of state investor looking to get started in Albany area. Any help is much appreciated.
Always happy to share!
Hi @Jamie Brayton ! I'm about to put an offer on a MF in Rensselaer and will definitely be needing a handyworker & painter for some light cosmetic work. Would love to connect with you and hear if you have any contacts to share.
I'm also interested in what the section 8 situation is like in Rensselaer, if anyone else here has experience with it--maybe @Nate Monson or @Michael Fitts would you know anything about Section 8 in Rensselaer?
Thanks In advance everyone for your time!
Congratulations! Happy to chat and share contractor contacts.
We have some Rensselaer tenants on various forms of assistance, so happy to chat though that, as well.
I’ll send you a message.
I'm a property manager in the Albany area in case you want to connect. I've got connections on a bunch of these categories!
I spoke with @Jamie Brayton a couple months ago and she is very insightful! Knowledgeable of the Capital Region and seems to be working on awesome projects. Great start here!
@Wesley Sherow would love to learn about your PM-co as I’m looking to buy-and-hold in Capital Region.
I’d be curious to hear y’all thoughts on the Amazon/Regeneron hiring impact. Is it over-blown or game changing? I drove up route 9 thru Schodack, Greenbush and Rensselaer the other week and those campuses are huge. However, there wasn’t much residential use and I couldn’t figure out where the housing neighborhoods are. Seemed commercial/industrial. Guess my question is this — where will these employees be living/trying to live? Of course it’s all skeptical but I welcome it!!!