• Investor
  • Midlothian, VA
Votes |
Different Audiences. Know your audience

Account Closed#4 Coronavirus Conversation Contributor
  • Investor
  • Midlothian, VA
Posted Sep 28 2020, 08:44

I see a lot of different sales techniques and most hold some merit. I have seen genuine, sleezy, pushy, aggressive, tactical and a million others in this business. I say go with what works for you but always be willing to adjust for your audience.

If you are dealing with a homeowner, you may employ a vastly different sales technique than if you are dealing with an investor when negotiating on a property. My caution to those out there that are coming across as overconfident in themselves, or some may even say cocky, is remember who you are dealing with. If you are dealing with an investor who has been around a while and is likely going to be around for a while you may have to deal with them again in the future. If the impression you left on your last discussion or negotiation has left a sour taste in their mouth, they are going to enter the next conversation with that taste already planted.

Any which way you approach me or leave a conversation with me is not going to make much of a difference. While there is no doubt, I have not seen it all, I do feel like I have seen enough to have built up a tolerance. On top of that I make a very conscious effort to make sure that I enter new conversations with a fresh perspective and try not to either prejudge or let past stains show. However, apparently this is not always the case.

I very recently caught myself saying “ugh, forget it I don’t want to deal with this guy he’s a pain in the ***” and entered a negotiation on a negative note. This is something I personally will have to be conscious of and try to remedy. My guess is most people you deal with do not put that effort in. Remember you never truly know who you are talking to so treat people fairly despite any initial presumptions you may have. For a completely contradictory statement-- know your audience.

Loading replies...