Skip to content
Real Estate Technology

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Lemieux
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
What platform do you use to collect rent?

Benjamin Lemieux
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Posted Mar 27 2022, 13:44

Hey everyone,

I’m currently growing my portfolio and want to begin collecting rent on a platform other than Venmo/Zelle I think. Is their an app you all use or do most people just use Venmo/Zelle. I’ll be closing on doors 5-7 this week. 

Thanks

Ben

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 29 2022, 20:24

I'd use purpose-built property management software (rather than Venmo/Zelle) as that way, you can collect rent but also use features like tenant screening, rental listings, accounting, etc. There are lots of different options out there, so it depends on what your priorities are (in terms of features). Some of them offer free trials so you can try them out before you commit.

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Samad Javed
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 29 2022, 21:12

Congrats! I used Cozy.co during my amateur landlord days, it was user friendly.

Docs, payments, maintenance requests were all built in the app.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 4 2022, 17:43

I have a small portfolio (only 4 units) but I signed up for Buildium so I could use their rental payment features, specifically PayNearMe. Your tenants get a portal they can log into and pay electronically. They can set up auto-pay or pay by credit card. PayNearMe is a really cool service for those non-tech tenants that want to pay in cash. They get a barcode and can go pay cash at any CVS or 7-11 and that money gets electronically wired to you (tenant pays a $4 fee). The whole setup was pricey ($200 sign up for Paynearme and I think Buildium is ~$500 a year), but I plan to scale my portfolio and didn't want to track down tenants for collections.

User Stats

Votes
William Collins
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rocky Hill, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Rocky Hill, CT
Replied Apr 7 2022, 16:57

@Benjamin Lemieux howdy, I  am investing here in CT as well.  Cozy.co which is now apartments.com is a lightweight place to set up with no fees.  You also can have all your service requests filed in it.

User Stats

Votes
Karl Denton
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mansfield, CT
Replied Apr 12 2022, 21:32

Hello Benjamin, I just looked into Tenant Cloud and Avail. After my own reasearch I choose to go with tenant cloud and pay for there upgraded package to accept ACH payments with no fees and list to other platforms for vacancy’s. It’s been great transitioning my tenants over to that platform. Check it out, it was 144 for the year and does what I need for my multifamily. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 12 2022, 23:08
Quote from @Karl Denton:

Hello Benjamin, I just looked into Tenant Cloud and Avail. After my own reasearch I choose to go with tenant cloud and pay for there upgraded package to accept ACH payments with no fees and list to other platforms for vacancy’s. It’s been great transitioning my tenants over to that platform. Check it out, it was 144 for the year and does what I need for my multifamily. 

Turbo Tenant I have found to be the best right now (free option)

User Stats

Votes
Michael H.
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kennesaw, GA
Replied Apr 13 2022, 02:58

I'm currently using Tenant Cloud to manage 8 doors. I don't use the free version, but I only paid $90 or so for the year. Completely worth it IMO.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Lemieux
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Replied Apr 24 2022, 08:53
Quote from @Jasmine Delves:

I'd use purpose-built property management software (rather than Venmo/Zelle) as that way, you can collect rent but also use features like tenant screening, rental listings, accounting, etc. There are lots of different options out there, so it depends on what your priorities are (in terms of features). Some of them offer free trials so you can try them out before you commit.

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Lemieux
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southington, CT
Replied Apr 24 2022, 08:54

Thank you all very much for your insight, and suggestions. I will be looking into these days. I appreciate you all as active members of the community sharing your knowledge with me!

All my best,

Ben

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 26 2022, 07:01

@Benjamin Lemieux I use Innago. It has many free features.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Marshall
  • Investor
  • Ocala, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ocala, FL
Replied Jun 8 2022, 03:08

@Benjamin Lemieux

Check out Nestegg.rent

Super cool landlord/renter app. They have a lot to offer.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 4 2022, 08:07

I no longer do LTRs, but my neighbor buddy has a unique method to collect rents. He has 8 houses in the same town, and has the tenants leave a check in the main electric panel on the 1st of the month. He drives around and picks up the checks on that day. No excuses about being late are allowed.

This way he gets to visit the property and take a look at the condition...are there any pets that are not allowed? Is the property in good condition? The tenants know that the landlord is going to be there every 1st of every month, so there are no issues.....

Pretty brilliant IMO. Old school is great......