Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Alternative to STESSA?

Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Jul 10 2022, 10:27

Hello - has anyone been able to find an alternative to Stessa? I thought it was great at first and conceptually it is, but the Automatic downloads are nearly useless. I've had a problem with one credit card for a year and a half....A YEAR AND A HALF and its not fixed. They just keep responding that they are working on it (really for a year and a half?). Now none of our other accounts are downloading and just continues to give an error message about too many downloads in 24 hours or something and thats not the case here. We spent a lot of time bringing everything over too so its really really frustrating to now have to find something else again. I don't mind paying some money either, we didn't do it because it was free, but because we thought it was great. However, we only have 10 doors so its not worth it for the big boy software. Thanks in advance for any help on this one. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 30 2022, 06:03

Hi Ian, did your issue get resolved? Are you still using Stressa or did you migrate to another software? Keen to connect regarding your experience as I’m currently trying to figure out what to use.

User Stats

Votes
Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Aug 30 2022, 18:58

@Nikhil Pajankar it did not get resolved. In fact, it got worse and they’ve made no sincere attempts to resolve it. They’ve sent more emails saying that they’re working on it but we’re coming up on 2 years now. I mean if that isn’t customer service, I don’t know what is. 

I did find one but I don’t recall it off hand and I’m out of town at the moment. If I remember I will send it, otherwise PM me. Unfortunately I now have to download an entire year and go through it with the new one since  Stessa didn’t perform. Try not to put yourself in my spot with tbem and pay a few bucks to someone that will perform. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert P.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Naperville, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Naperville, IL
Replied Dec 22 2022, 14:58

Were you able to fix this?  I wonder if an alternative that might work would be exporting the transactions from your bank and then importing into Stessa?  That's what I did with all my 2022 transactions.  Their import is a little wonky but could help.  If you wanna try that and need help with the import just holler.

User Stats

Votes
Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 22 2022, 20:13

Thanks @Robert P. Yes, that’s what I discovered as well and that I’m going to wind up having to do for all 2022. Appreciate the offer to help. I think I’m good, but will let you know if not. 

User Stats

Votes
Sheena R Roth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Canton, OH
Replied Jan 28 2023, 07:14

Our automatic imports don't work either. Same experience... the "ticket" has been open for more than a year.

But now Stessa moved from 100% free and added an optional paid subscription level. One of the features you have to pay for is the ability to assign a transaction to the portfolio level. This isn't an optional feature for anyone with more than one door... its super basic and definitely a necessity.  

So basically if you have more than one door, Stessa is no longer free. 

I'm looking for alternatives... would appreciate any suggestions from you folks who have migrated to something else!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 2 2023, 14:46

We are trying out the free version of Stessa, but have been using Google Docs spreadsheet before this.  I am considering using an extension called Tiller to feed data into Google Docs.  Tiller uses Yodlee to handle encrypted logins, maybe their connection to banking data is more robust than Stessa's free version.  Tiller is $79 a year, with a free 30-day trial.

User Stats

Votes
Amy Verges
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Feb 3 2023, 09:35
Quote from @Sheena R Roth:

Our automatic imports don't work either. Same experience... the "ticket" has been open for more than a year.

But now Stessa moved from 100% free and added an optional paid subscription level. One of the features you have to pay for is the ability to assign a transaction to the portfolio level. This isn't an optional feature for anyone with more than one door... its super basic and definitely a necessity.  

I'm looking for alternatives... would appreciate any suggestions from you folks who have migrated to something else!

I came here for this reason--I thought certainly I must be doing something wrong and that they wouldn't all the sudden take this feature away and make me pay $20/month for it.  But alas apparently this is the case??  As you said: now it's essentially useless with the free version if you have more than one door.  I'm certainly not paying for this and I have no need for the other additional features since I own and use a professional property management company.

Looking forward to hearing about alternatives!

Sage Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Fleming
Pro Member
  • Columbia, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Columbia, MD
Replied Feb 3 2023, 22:38

I think I am going to move to REI Hub. It does have a cost, but not as much as Quickbooks and it still has a Real Estate focus. I also like that you can setup your own account structure which Stessa was lacking. The only issue I am having right now on REI Hub is with importing a property management statement. However, the ability to setup my accounts and correctly account for things is outweighing.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 4 2023, 08:06

Upgrade to a BP Pro membership and you can use RentRedi for free

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 14 2023, 04:45

Let us know if you find a better one, I’ve used Stessa since they recommended it on the pod cast many moons ago but recently they want you to upgrade and pay to scan receipts. If I’m going to pay for a software I want one that actually works as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 24 2023, 07:40
Quote from @Amy Verges:

I came here for this reason--I thought certainly I must be doing something wrong and that they wouldn't all the sudden take this feature away and make me pay $20/month for it.  But alas apparently this is the case??  As you said: now it's essentially useless with the free version if you have more than one door.  I'm certainly not paying for this and I have no need for the other additional features since I own and use a professional property management company.

I just got a response back from stress, they changed to paid subscription of $20 a month for more than 5 transactions a month. Their program doesn’t scan properly when it was free, so I’m afraid we all need to find a new platform. I’m using apartments.com for tenant pay and I’m looking at rent redi now to replace stessa.

User Stats

Votes
Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Feb 24 2023, 08:41
Quote from @Morgan Hudson:
Quote from @Amy Verges:

I just got a response back from stress, they changed to paid subscription of $20 a month for more than 5 transactions a month. Their program doesn’t scan properly when it was free, so I’m afraid we all need to find a new platform. I’m using apartments.com for tenant pay and I’m looking at rent redi now to replace stessa.

I’m in exactly the same boat @Morgan Hudson. Use Apartments.com and Stessa. And I totally agree that their software didn’t work right before and now they want to charge for it. I sent in a ticket TWO YEARS ago about transactions not downloading properly and they just kept saying they were working on it, clearly blowing me off. Quite possibly to wait until they could start charging for it. They should have focused on customer loyalty first and got that right or all of the people here thaf are saying they’re looking for an alternative might have stayed. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Feb 24 2023, 19:07

@Ian M. I moved from Stessa to REI Hub 18 months ago. Night and day in terms of what it does and the quality of support.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 24 2023, 19:55

@Ian M. Try REIHUB and you would never look back. Looks like they Stessa spend a lot of money on marketing and very little on actually developing a good product.

User Stats

Votes
Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Feb 24 2023, 21:44

@Mark S. and @Jay Thomas thanks a lot. Sounds like you two have sold me on it. I appreciate it. its a little more expensive, but it sounds like its worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Demasi
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Feb 26 2023, 19:20

Changed from stessa to rei hub for similar reasons. Couldn’t be happier; rei hub support is great.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 21 2023, 11:07
Quote from @Ian M.:

@Mark S. and @Jay Thomas thanks a lot. Sounds like you two have sold me on it. I appreciate it. its a little more expensive, but it sounds like its worth it.

Hi Ian,
Did you find an alternative?  We are testing Azibo so please let me know what options you found as an alternative if you were able to test since your last post.  Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Ian M.
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 21 2023, 11:40
Quote from @Arthur S.:
Quote from @Ian M.: I haven’t. Im probably going to use REIHub

Hi Ian,
Did you find an alternative?  We are testing Azibo so please let me know what options you found as an alternative if you were able to test since your last post.  Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Vicki X.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 21 2023, 19:01
Quote from @Ian M.:

Hello - has anyone been able to find an alternative to Stessa? I thought it was great at first and conceptually it is, but the Automatic downloads are nearly useless. I've had a problem with one credit card for a year and a half....A YEAR AND A HALF and its not fixed. They just keep responding that they are working on it (really for a year and a half?). Now none of our other accounts are downloading and just continues to give an error message about too many downloads in 24 hours or something and thats not the case here. We spent a lot of time bringing everything over too so its really really frustrating to now have to find something else again. I don't mind paying some money either, we didn't do it because it was free, but because we thought it was great. However, we only have 10 doors so its not worth it for the big boy software. Thanks in advance for any help on this one. 

Hi @Ian M. @Nikhil Pajankar @Robert P., @Sheena R Roth and everyone, would love to connect, understand your pain points and demo Azibo accounting to you. I personally use azibo to do my bookkeeping and tax prep, and it's become more and more simple and efficient. We will also make it even better in the coming months!
I'll reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Tim J.
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Replied Mar 21 2023, 19:27

I am a mostly happy user of Stessa, but not happy they did a bait and switch and started charging.  I think it is still worth the cost BUT, I need to manage maintenance requests.  Thus, after some research, I decided on Buildium.  Its pricier for sure but seems like a great package.  Second place (a close second) was Rentec.

I may write up my experience with using and evaluating and getting demos from the companies.  I expect that after using Buildium for a while I will migrate all the accounting stuff to Buildium - but for now I am using it for maintenance requests and tenant screening only.

I rejected a number of competitors mostly because they did not fit my needs, but they would fit other peoples needs.

In the past month or so I have been very harshly criticizing RentRedi.  I regret the nature of some of those comments.  That software may be useful for people who do not have multiple portfolios to manage.  (Smaller investor - holding properties in just one entity)

My Must-haves:

- manage multi portfolios
- document management
- auto import/connections to bank accounts
- ability to handle tenant payments within the system (there are many varying levels of this across the spectrum, I just need a subset)
- end of year/reporting/tax prep help
- maintenance request workflow (with tenant and contractor logins/communication)

What I really like about stessa -
- low cost
- the dashboards
- unit listing and application/screening

what i do not like about stessa
- sometimes broken-ness of bank connectivity
- they went from free to paid and took away features and didnt grandfather existing users
- lack of maintenance tracking

I have not tried the application screening process in stessa yet.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:45

Innago is a great alternative! It helps me keep everything organized and keep track of all payments. 

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:46
Quote from @Mose Gebremeskel:

Innago is a great alternative! It helps me keep everything organized and keep track of all payments. 

Yup agreed. Innago has been nothing but fitting for my needs!

User Stats

Votes
Sheena R Roth
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Canton, OH
Replied Mar 23 2023, 14:12

And @Tommy Parker  I also use Innago as a tenant portal (ie. I accept rent payments, manage and store leases, send invoices, and accept and track maintenance requests on there) I never considered that it could replace Stessa for bookkeeping and tax prep. I know that they have an “Expenses” tab in Innago, but I have never noticed a way to import transactions or link to a bank account. Are you guys manually inputting your bank transactions into Innago one at a time? 

User Stats

Votes
Vicki X.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 23 2023, 20:00

And @Tommy Parker  I also use Innago as a tenant portal (ie. I accept rent payments, manage and store leases, send invoices, and accept and track maintenance requests on there) I never considered that it could replace Stessa for bookkeeping and tax prep. I know that they have an “Expenses” tab in Innago, but I have never noticed a way to import transactions or link to a bank account. Are you guys manually inputting your bank transactions into Innago one at a time? 

Innago helps track the rent payments nicely, and users can add expenses manually and track them. But I wasn't aware of ways to automate bookkeeping in it, which makes it difficult to scale. I wonder if I've missed something.

I've looked into and compared almost all rental accounting options (QBO, stessa, REIHub, Quicken, Buildium, Azibo, spreadsheets...) and am always eager to learn more. Please DM me if you'd like to chat about it!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 31 2023, 08:43

@Tim J.

I am exactly in the same boat. I like Stessa but with charge it seems better for me to pay for an 8ntegrated solution.

I checked Rentec which seems to manage both finance and property (maintenance, inspection).

People also mentioning Rei Hub, and you are mentioning Buildium.

I have about 30 doors. Wonder why you choose Buildium over Rentec.