• Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Smart lock alternatives

Les Jean-Pierre
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Posted Feb 5 2023, 16:59

Hi, I have a cylinder lock that, when I showed a picture  to a couple locksmiths, is supposedly incompatible with any smartlocks because the door is too thin where the lock is located. I have some lockboxes but any other ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 6 2023, 05:09

Have you tried Schlage Encode? Would answer it better if I have a clear picture of what smart locks were incompatible you've checked out.

User Stats

Votes
Les Jean-Pierre
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Feb 6 2023, 12:47

No. This is the lock. Will swing by HD tonight or tomorrow.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tom Degroodt
Pro Member
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Evans, GA
Replied Feb 25 2023, 04:05

Is that a glass inset into the door?  so there is just the little narrow section for the lock?  It sucks to spend the money, but unless the door had historical value, we would replace the whole door.  If it is for an Airbnb where we want a smart lock it makes our life easier.  If it was a long term rental and you only need it for workers during turnover we would use a standard lockbox.

User Stats

Votes
Les Jean-Pierre
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Feb 25 2023, 04:08

You hit it right on the head. That is glass. I found a smart lockbox that should fit the bill. It is a short term rental but not residential. It is for parties, etc. Thus, little skittish giving out the code to a regular lockbox.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Degroodt
Pro Member
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Evans, GA
Replied Feb 26 2023, 05:12
Quote from @Les Jean-Pierre:

It is a short term rental but not residential. It is for parties, etc. Thus, little skittish giving out the code to a regular lockbox.

That makes sense.  The smart locks are super great when you need to give different people limited access.  Lockbox would allow keys to be copied.

User Stats

Votes
Les Jean-Pierre
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Feb 27 2023, 10:44

I used this smart lockbox that gives a temporary code. Worked fine. I think the client was a big reason too. So, made a nice sum of change for a one day rental.