Real Estate Technology

User Stats

Votes
Jowel Pyle
Votes |
How to estimate repair price per a square

Jowel Pyle
Posted Nov 18 2023, 09:58

I am new to real estate and wholesaling my question is how to estimated price per square foot, my focus areas New Jersey,Philadelphia, and Baltimore Maryland 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 18 2023, 11:20

you can't - just do an actual, bottoms up estimate for every property

User Stats

Votes
Jowel Pyle
Votes |
Replied Nov 18 2023, 11:51
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

you can't - just do an actual, bottoms up estimate for every property

Is there away to figure out state by state thank you it would be really helpful 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Nov 18 2023, 12:00

Absolutely no way to do this...too many moving parts and different situations. Even using an online estimator tool will do little to help as there are still too many variables. Unless you can afford those $20,000 ooooopses...

You must either know the construction business inside and out (or know someone who does) or get a General Contr to walk every project for you...

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 18 2023, 13:40

Not possible 

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Nov 18 2023, 13:47
Quote from @Jowel Pyle:

I am new to real estate and wholesaling my question is how to estimated price per square foot, my focus areas New Jersey,Philadelphia, and Baltimore Maryland 

Not possible, the guys responding are 100% accurate 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 18 2023, 16:58

@Jowel Pyle

Wholesaling without seeing a property is going to be an absolute waste of time. A good wholesaler will go visit a property and do an interior video or photos along with an idea of the cost to repair the property

If you are not educated to do that pay a contractor to give you an approximate ballpark to do the repairs

Also make sure to have legit arv assets

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Wright
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Nov 19 2023, 22:19

@Jowel Pyle I think what you're asking for is a resource to ballpark the cost of what you see being needed, without relying on a contractor who may quote a price and then come back asking for change orders and up-charges after the first surprise is found behind a wall, etc.. 

Check out Marshall Valuation Services and their online component cost estimators. We use this in the appraisal world. It is broken down by component costs taken from a survey of real world data and adjusted for time, location, etc.. There can be a learning curve as with any software platform but it can help you ballpark the cost of what you believe is needed in a property, then you can add your margin and contingency before backing into your offer price.  

User Stats

Votes
Brian Tome
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Worton, MD
Replied Dec 17 2023, 10:03

@Jowel Pyle

My wife and I are investors and we run a small REIA on the Eastern Shore. Most of our properties are in Cecil County, but some of the investors who attend are also in Newark/Wilmington Delaware area. We also have some STR investors who buy in Sussex County and Ocean City. Check us out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/846713759601226

It's a great group with a lot of knowledge and a lot of "action takers." And as you know - action takers are money makers!!!

I would love it if you would consider joining our group.