• Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
How can I learn Yardi?

Chris L.
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Posted Nov 13 2014, 08:53

I'm applying for various Leasing Administrator and Assistant Property Manager roles, although it's a slight career switch from my normal day job as an executive assistant. (I also have experience as a sales manager and as a real estate agent, so I'm confident I can make the switch). I noticed that many positions request experience with Yardi or similar software, and I want to get my resume noticed. But Yardi won't teach individuals how to use the software unless they work for a company that purchased Yardi. And all the Yardi Youtube tutorials have been blocked for the public. 

Is there a way to learn Yardi, maybe through a tutor? I know I'm not the only one looking for this, a recent Google search turned up someone on craigslist looking for a Yardi tutor.

Suggestions?

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Quintanilla
  • Investor
  • Hastings On Hudson, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hastings On Hudson, NY
Replied Nov 13 2014, 11:49

Is there a specific product that you're looking to learn? From what it looks like Yardi is the name of the company and they offer different packages. I could be wrong though. 

User Stats

Votes
David C.
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Nov 13 2014, 11:52

Sounds like a business opportunity,  once you learn Yardi, remember this, and you can have a side business teaching it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David C.
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Nov 13 2014, 12:11

On the Yardi website is a search tool for independent contractors.  Some of them list training as a service.  I'd reach out to one near you.

User Stats

Votes
David Carrington
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New Haven, CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • New Haven, CT
Replied Nov 13 2014, 12:16

My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Chris L.
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 13 2014, 12:25

@Jonathan Quintanilla:  Yes, there are several products, designed for larger/fewer #'s of units. But even just having the keyword "Yardi" on my resume should help it get picked up. Voyager seems to be one of their main products.

@David C.: It certainly could be a side business, I'm sure! When you talk to their independent training agents, they always say they can't train you unless you are a customer.

User Stats

Votes
Chris L.
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 13 2014, 12:26
Originally posted by @David Carrington:

My wife is a property manager here in CT. She uses Yardi for work. She would be willing to teach you if you want to reach out, text 203-307-0072. Her name is Jacqueline. Not sure what you'd be wanting to offer.

Good luck!

Thanks David! I will reach out to her.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tempel
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Nov 14 2014, 12:08

I used Yardi for many years.  We actually were one of their first clients when they only had the dos professional version.   Most larger PM companies will use Yardi Voyager, Real Page or some of the other Elite Systems.   Without working with  company it is challenging to learn Yardi, since you don't have the day to day use in real life settings. 

We actually switched from Yardi to Appfolio due to price and overall a much easier system that all our employees can use (again, no expensive per user charges).   I think in most cases we haven't hired anyone based on their system experience unless it is a position that focuses on accounting.  For leasing and assistant manager roles I wouldn't worry about not knowing Yardi.  We focus on customer service, sales and overall personality when hiring for leasing and assistant manager positions and haven't really made a decision based on PM software experience.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Condie
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area
Replied Nov 24 2014, 16:35

Hi Chris,

I've worked at Yardi for 4 years, so I'd like to throw in my two cents. Yardi-Voyager is the flagship software program, and you definitely want to find a company using that program and not one of the older/legacy systems that predate it. Yardi-Voyager is relatively ubiquitous in the industry, so this should be easy. I'd also offer that the willingness to invest in an industry-standard (albeit not cheap) software like Voyager is the sign of a high-quality property management company. This is not to deride a program like AppFolio, which is well-suited to small companies (under 100 units or so). I'm relatively new to BP, but it seems skewed towards companies of this size, and I wouldn't be surprised to see .

I have some good news and some bad news for you:

Bad news: There isn't a good way of getting Yardi training outside of working for a company that uses it. 

Good news: Yardi is doing very well in the industry, and as market share increases, so does the demand for employees with Yardi experience. This means that, while companies may "require" experience with it, they may not actually be able to find a good candidate who has that experience. This leaves a lot of room for you to convince the employer that YOU are the right candidate and will learn the software quickly once hired.

I suggest playing up your experience with other accounting or prop mgmt software if you have it. Having experience with a legacy Yardi product, like Enterprise, may be a foot in the door for an interview, even though it is quite different than Yardi-Voyager. It would then be understandable that you need some time to get up to speed. 

Based on your eloquent writing and good use of grammar you seem like a smart person. I'm confident in your ability to learn and eventually master Yardi! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can help you any further.

Best,

Nick

User Stats

Votes
Angela A.
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 6 2016, 19:49

I am not sure I understand the strategy of a company creating software and not wanting anyone who wanted to learn it learn; even if it was training you could pay for. 

Guess this is why I am not paid the big bucks ;)

User Stats

Votes
TJ Sebetka
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied Feb 1 2017, 19:47

Well, I am like Chris L from New York two years ago.  I too have recently accepted a Leasing Consultant position.  I do have 20 years in sales.  It is the software I'm trying to understand better as I have to use it each day.  Yes, my company did have me take some online courses but I would like more one on one training. 

Since the previously blog is from 2 years ago I probably won't get much response but thought that I would at least try.  

Thanks, TJ

User Stats

Votes
Ravi P.
  • Investor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied Feb 1 2017, 20:03

@Nick Condie would you be able.to share pricing?

I have come across Yardi's name doing research online. I never bothered following up with Yardi because it seems liked it was for larger owners or managers. 

I just want to see if Yardi is something someone can buy and try to learn?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Menez
  • Elizabeth, NJ
Votes |
  • Elizabeth, NJ
Replied Apr 25 2017, 06:26

Hi Jacqueline

I am looking in applying to work in property management- however I do need to know Yardi

Precisely- I am an accounts receivable/credit collections- and that is the tutorial or leaning program I am interested in

Please advise when starting- cost  etc. thanks for any help you can give

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Carol Marshall
  • Grove City, OH
Votes |
  • Grove City, OH
Replied May 8 2017, 11:14

Hi Jacqueline I am very interested in learning Yardi when you start. I am in Ohio now just moved from Ventura County. Small world. So whenever you are doing the class let me know so appreciate it.

Thank you Carol Marshall

User Stats

Votes
David Gonzalez
  • Realtor
  • Camarillo, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Camarillo, CA
Replied Jun 29 2017, 10:55

I have worked with a number of large properties (130 to 444 units) and several different property management software systems. 

First of all Yardi is not difficult. All Property Management software systems do the same thing they just go about it a little bit differently. If you play with a free trial of Property Management Software (Appfolio Buildium Propertyware) you will have a great idea of what to expect and what you need to learn once you access Yardi.

I would suggest you go ahead and apply for the job or start as a temp for a company that specializes in placing property management workers. People who write the ads over emphasize Yardi expierence when other qualities are more important. 

User Stats

Votes
Miniece Richardson
  • Professional
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Aug 9 2017, 23:33

Does anyone have a pdf of the Yardi manual? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Blake Alexander
  • Agent & Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Agent & Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 10 2018, 15:04

I've heard from several property management / development companies in LA that they absolutely will not hire anyone unless they are proficient in Yardi. When I asked how to get proficient they said work at a company that uses Yardi...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 28 2022, 12:45

Four years later and I will echo what Blake said. Such a ridiculous form of gatekeeping. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2023, 23:25
Quote from @David Carrington:

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2023, 23:26
Quote from @Karen Borell:

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2023, 23:27

Good luck!

I am interested!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 31 2023, 14:01

Sorry, i posted with my email to help but it was deleted by a moderator and told that i cannot advertise my services.

Not sure how i can help you out without breaking the rules here.  Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 14 2024, 20:29
Quote from @Chris L.:

I'm applying for various Leasing Administrator and Assistant Property Manager roles, although it's a slight career switch from my normal day job as an executive assistant. (I also have experience as a sales manager and as a real estate agent, so I'm confident I can make the switch). I noticed that many positions request experience with Yardi or similar software, and I want to get my resume noticed. But Yardi won't teach individuals how to use the software unless they work for a company that purchased Yardi. And all the Yardi Youtube tutorials have been blocked for the public. 

Is there a way to learn Yardi, maybe through a tutor? I know I'm not the only one looking for this, a recent Google search turned up someone on craigslist looking for a Yardi tutor.

Suggestions?

Hi Chris,

I hope this message finds you well. I recently came across your post where you shared your experience facing challenges with Yardi, and I find myself in a similar situation now.

I'm reaching out to inquire about how you resolved the issue you mentioned. Was there someone who taught you Yardi? Additionally, for those who have come across your post, does anyone have knowledge about Yardi? I am also in need of learning Yardi and would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.