Skip to content
Real Estate Technology

User Stats

Votes
Tucker Long
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Single or separate websites for consumer sales and investing biz?

Tucker Long
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Sep 16 2016, 15:25

Hello,

I'm working on building my real estate brand and am having a hard time deciding how much to combine or separate the sales side of my business from the investing side of things. My intuition is for the sake of clarity, keeping people's attention, maximizing SEO results, and reducing liability that operating two separate companies and brands may be best. I own MyOhioProperty.com and EvolvedProperty.com. I have been imagining building my sales website (buyers guide, community pages, IDX integration, home valuation page, etc) on MyOhioProperty.com and then building Evolvedproperty.com to give details on our services including making cash offers on homes, renovations, and our homes for rent. For the forseeable future, it's very likely I'll keep my sales business in Ohio while there is a high likelihood I will invest out of state.

So my concern with the plan above is it's splitting my recourses in two and I'm not starting with much. I would prefer to find a way to put my marketing dollars toward one brand, neither company name strikes me as perfectly all encompassing though. EvolvedProperty is somewhat vague and doesn't automatically trigger thoughts of a home sale. I feel like MyOhioProperty is a bit more self explanatory, even though it doesn't directly have sales in it. Even if money weren't a concern, two companies will limit me in other ways such as what marketing would I choose to put on vehicles, introducing two companies to people I network with, etc. 

I've spent a long time trying to find a better company name that has a .com domain open and I probably don't have to tell you all, it's damn hard to find good openings these days. If something like EasyHomes.com was open this whole dillema would probably be solved, I've spent 10's of hours searching and these are the two best names I've come up with. I also own BetterResidence, SelectShelter and SunnyShelter (all .com) but when polling friends, many replied both had immediate negative connotation (they thought of homeless and animal shelters) and I fear I will forever be asked if it's betterresidence or betterresidents. MyOhioProperty could be the answer if I knew I wanted to invest only in Ohio, but I'm sure I DON'T want to limit myself to just this state. And I really don't want to build a new site for every state I enter.

I realize this is really long winded and without much direction, I'm just lost on how to move forward so would really appreciate some outside input or perspective at this point. I also haven't consulted an attorney on this and am wondering if having investing (I buy houses cash type marketing) and licensed sales marketing on one website is too much of a conflict of interest even if disclosures are in place. AHHHH

Options:

1. MyOhioProperty.com for all real estate activity including PM, investing, and sales.

2. EvolvedProperty.com for all real estate activity including PM, investing, and sales.

3. MyOhioProperty.com for sales and EvolvedProperty.com for investing/I buy homes cash type marketing.

4. Something else/spend more time domain and business name hunting.

Thanks for your time,

Loading replies...