Keeping track of construction timeline & budget

5 Replies

I was wondering if anyone has a similar problem whereby they just bought a property (or already own) and are about to embark on rebuilding/remodeling (ie. kitchen remodel)- so you have to hire a contractor to do it, and they give you a quote and timeline (ie. 5 weeks).  Now over the 5 week period:

• how do you keep track and ensure that the timeline will work (they won't miss the deadline)? 
  • how do you keep track and ensure that they won't go over budget? 
  • how do you ensure that the quality is as you expect and the line items agreed upon (pot lights, new appliances installed) are getting completed on time?

This is assuming you are too busy to micromanage/supervise them.  Especially now that investors are investing remotely too.  Would you be interested in software the solves this problem? is there software like this that exists?

Expect to double their time. Expect to add 50% to the cost. If you cant be there to inspect what you expect, and you are asking contractors to hold themselves accountable, they'll fail to meet your expectations almost every time
(267) 520-0454
Originally posted by @Jason DiClemente :
Expect to double their time. Expect to add 50% to the cost. If you cant be there to inspect what you expect, and you are asking contractors to hold themselves accountable, they'll fail to meet your expectations almost every time

Thats a good point.  But what if i told you, you can minimize by how much they miss the deadline or by how much they go over budget?  And thats by using software that inspects quality and tracks construction progress so you can react in minutes, not weeks later.

Hire a project manager who will do it for you.

Or use something like gnatt/milestone. You could do weekly or even just milestone progress meetings. Your payments should also be based on milestone etc.

@Joseph Kha I would be sceptical of such a product. You can't eliminate the human aspect so, while I can see how it can possibly monitor the process by entering data, I don't see how it would influence the process.
(267) 520-0454

@Jason DiClemente of course, you can never remove the human element.  I agree that the human is the final decision maker.  Its just that, in this case, your decision would be a far better decision if its an informed one and done earlier than later if possible- which is what the software would facilitate.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.