General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Susan Thatcher
Votes |
Non paying tenants won't leave, can't evict(COVID) now claim mold

Susan Thatcher
Posted Jan 24 2021, 21:21

I have tenants in Virginia that have not paid rent for several months and I cannot get them out of the house. Last month they informed me they now have mold in the house. I have verified with a certified mold abatement tech, but the tenants will not let the tech in the house to do the work. I left a message for the building inspector in town to note for the record my effort to clean up the mold and possibly evict the tenants due to the mold being unsafe. In the meantime, I was warned I may be responsible to cover the cost of temporary housing for the tenants while the mold is cleaned up even though they are not paying rent and advised not to pursue eviction through the building inspector. Anyone know if this is true? My lawyer has been no help and notified me today he is retiring and no longer on the case. The tenants have a free county appointed lawyer. We have been to court 3 times over the last year but no action due to COVID. The lease expired and has been month to month. The tenants are violating the lease with pets on the premises, and with a disturbing-the-peace arrest last fall. They won't leave. I volunteered to help financially. The tenant said he is going to milk this for all its worth. What legal recourse do I have? I am afraid I am being set up for something with the mold issue now. 

Loading replies...