Applicants who are past home owners with no rental history

3 Replies

When approving new tenants I do my best to screen out people who will not take good care of my property, in addition to screening for income, etc. My single-family home properties are not high-end but neither are they low end. I keep them very well maintained. I often get applicants who are moving from a house they have recently sold because of divorce. Because these applicants have no past landlords to contact and may live out of the area, I really have no good way to check on them aside from their financial background. I have approved these types of tenants in the past and though most are solid some are careless with my rentals and cause more wear and tear or damage than I am comfortable with. Recently I have been requesting a double security deposit from these type of tenants but most do not follow-up.

I would like to know how other landlords check on applicants who are recent homeowners with no rental history .

A copy of mortgage loan payments would be helpful

People usually save payment receipts or can get copy of checks

If you have the time, schedule the inspections every three months and give them feedback.

It seems you're concerned about tenant housekeeping so look inside their car - how they keep their car is usually how they keep their house. And you can even go look inside their house too and conduct your interview there. But just remember, what you do to one applicant you must do to all the applicants or you're risking a Fair Housing violation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here