• Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
What should I do? - Snow Removal Issue on Duplex

James Miernicki
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted May 13 2014, 11:27

I recently signed up new tenants on a 12-month lease, starting in June, for the upper level unit of a duplex I own.

The lease signing at a local coffee shop was the first time I had met the tenants. My wife had met them twice (during an initial showing then follow up showing of the unit). I wasn’t available because of business travel once and demands at other property the other time.

During the signing they brought up that my wife mentioned that if they were to perform some snow shoveling duties they may be able to receive a break on rent. My response was that I had always planned to include in their lease the shoveling of the sidewalk in front of the building after a snowfall. (The city mandates that the walkway is shoveled within 24hrs of snowfall). I noted that this is typical of leases on duplexes in this area as the owner is not always able to get to the building within 24hrs to shovel since, being 2-unit buildings, duplexes do not have a caretaker like an apartment building. FYI – I am still responsible for shoveling other areas and also mowing the lawn.

They were understanding and agreed to accept the front walk responsibility without any adjustment to the rent. We then signed the lease and both parties left with signed copies.

The next day they sent an email saying they were disappointed they didn’t get any break in rent and asked for an adjustment of $10 less per month (they signed the lease at the rate of $1010/mo + utilities).

What should I do? If I say no, that we need to follow the lease and I don’t want to go to the hassle of signing another one and giving them a break I feel like they will feel resentment for me every time they pick up a snow shovel. This could lead to some negative long term consequences.

If I say yes I feel like I’m just giving away money for no good reason after the deal has already been done and contract signed.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the help, especially if you have gone through a similar experience!

Loading replies...