How can I check criminal background (including checking for evictions and previous lawsuits they've filed) on potential tenants? Any good website?

12 Replies

How can I check the criminal background (including checking for evictions and previous lawsuits they've filed) on potential tenants? Any good website?

Hire a skip tracer to get you the info.

Joe Gore

I don't get it. What do you mean by that?

Search Yahoo and there will be a lot of skip tracers can get the info for you for a fee.

Joe Gore

@Israel Leon go to the Resources section above. Click on tenant screening there is a service, Smartmove, you can also see a free guide by going to the REI Resources, go to landlord and screening section. it is very helpful as well. Good luck.

Thanks a lot to both Jay Hinrichs and Jerry W.!

the site looks cheesy but works well. Mr. Landlord.com great resource as well . I also use buildium for accounting and it can run credit reports . I found that need two resources as I have had sites go down in the middle of trying to run credit .. Also landlord station is good .

Some states (PA and MA for example) have gov't sites that allow you to search for criminal and eviction records that occurred within that specific state. You could check if you have something like that in FL but keep in mind that results would be limited to in state records, so somebody who travelled to some other state and committed a crime might be missed. For evictions, a good credit report will show an address history so you can see whether the applicant only lived in one state or not.

Ditto on rentprep.com. They do a great job.

In Oklahoma, use www.oscn.net. It is a public record of all current and past litigation in Oklahoma. Each state should have a similar public database.

As far as criminal records, go to www.mugshot.com. I have actually googled someone's name as they were driving to an appt to see a house we manage and her photo pulled up! Google other competitors for mugshots, too.

Use www.mysmartmove.com and have the prospect resident run a credit & crim rpt on themselves for your viewing.

Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.