First Time Evicting - Mixed Feelings

27 Replies

@Katharine Chartrand  - I think that's what they would want us to do. Since neither my brother nor I are going to live in it, I would hope they understand that we want to make the best out of what they left us. ;)

@Jeff S. - We have followed through. The Unlawful Detainer has been filed and is already in the system. The Stipulated Judgment is just an agreement that they will move as promised on the 21st of this month. If they don't, the UD goes into effect immediately and they get locked out the next day. And as far as inheriting money goes, I don't think it's easier to lose. I actually feel a huge responsibility to take this money and invest it wisely so it will grow - just like my parents would want me to do. 

Originally posted by @Anne A.:

@Katharine Chartrand  - I think that's what they would want us to do. Since neither my brother nor I are going to live in it, I would hope they understand that we want to make the best out of what they left us. ;)

@Jeff S. - We have followed through. The Unlawful Detainer has been filed and is already in the system. The Stipulated Judgment is just an agreement that they will move as promised on the 21st of this month. If they don't, the UD goes into effect immediately and they get locked out the next day. And as far as inheriting money goes, I don't think it's easier to lose. I actually feel a huge responsibility to take this money and invest it wisely so it will grow - just like my parents would want me to do. 

Anne:  you may have a misunderstanding of the how a California UD filing works.  There is no such thing as a UD going into effect immediately or a lock-out on the next day.  The tenant has to be served the complaint by a process server (not a notice to quit, but the formal complaint from the courts).  Then they have five days to answer.  If they don't answer, then there's a hearing and the judge will award a judgment in your favor.  Then you take your judgment to the sheriff and have to schedule a lockout.  Takes a few weeks minimum.  

As of yesterday, July 21st at 5pm our tenants have moved out. Now I have to start the task of getting the house ready for sale.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. It truly helped me get through this whole process.

:)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here